Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Reccomend me some under 100... 80 would be even nicer.

2. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I don't want to start another argument but is the only reason to buy an EQ pedal so that you can change sounds on the fly? Surely the main basic sound comes from just the bass and amp, and the effect pedals then ads colour when required.

3. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Mike,

Well I'll go first :D

Boss makes one GEB-7, that I use to boost and color my passive basses. (I'm usually an "Active" kind of guy)

You might try to have a look on SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/bassdriver.html

Please let us know what you end up with :hyper:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, there's the boss geb-7. guyatone do the bottom equalizer, which is more compact than the boss. Both will do what you want.

5. now, I'm kinda wondering here, none of these pedals will truly bypass your signal when they are off, will they? I've had a horrible time with the big muff and other distortion pedals and stuff because my signal is never pure enough for me wiithout one cable, but at the same time, I'm kinda looking to invest in one of these because since I'm one string player in a band and I wanna play death metal, some songs have a certain punch of the bass that fades back into being regular. Can i use the GE7 equalizer and still get a semi-pure tone?

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Actually, I want a pedal to run from my FX loop on my TNT, to the "return" on my friends TKO... cause to run the amps together, the TKO has no EQ settings... just my bass, while the TNT has shaping. sounds like ass. so i am gonna put something in the middle.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just remember that if youre doing it that way the 2nd amp will get all the eq from the pedal - the 1st won't unless you use an A/B/Y box that lets you send the signal from the pedal to the return of both amps

generally, the cheaper an eq pedal is (or any pedal) the more they tend to have a negative impact on your tone when not in use. Some pedals are "true bypass" meaning that when they are off the signal goes directly from the input jack to the output jack and does not go thru any of the pedals circuitry. Some folks also use a looper or lehle pedal to make any pedal tru bypass by completely removing the pedal from the signal chain. I cant reccomend a specific eq pedal, only put in my 2 cents that generally, the cheaper an eq or preamp is, the more likley it is to mess with your tone (in use or not)

8. MXR 10-band EQ anyone?

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, that's a good one too. Over here, the mxr is around $120 new vs $80 new for the Boss.