Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ settings and pick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I know I may catch some flames for this but...

I am looking for suggestions as to how to set an eq so that a pick player can sound more like a finger player. I am not sure if I will be able to achieve the same exact tone, probably not, but I would like to come as close as possible.

I am a pick player. I just feel more combfortable playing with a pick as I played guitar for 10 years previously. I know alot of you are going to say for the sound you are trying to achieve just learn to use your fingers. But at this point I just dont want to; I just enjoy playing with a pick much more. And if i dont enjoy playing as much, well I just begin questioning the point of it all.

So should i just boost the low-end eq (or cut all the other frequencies)? I assume the answer isnt that simple.

okay, just give me a sec while i put my flame proof bio-suit on. :ninja: :bag:

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Boost the lows, yes.

keep the highs down.. and keep the mids down a bit. but dont totally eliminate them.

you may want to look into heavy picks... i find they sound deeper and more fingerlike than thinner picks.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I usually use a .96mm thickness.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How about those rubber picks you can get?

Playing with a hard pick produces a much quicker attack than fingers do, and no amount of EQ will solve that, because the problem is the note envelope as well as the tonal balance. But a pick make of a softer material could give you the rounder warmer attack that fingers give.

Alex

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Never heard of rubber picks.

any links?

:)

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks Alex!

i am going to order some of those.

anyone have experience with them?

they have two thicknesses 3.1mm and 5.0mm. They come in soft, medium or hard. I think its best to order hard.

5mm seems pretty chunky to me so I guess I will stick with 3.1mm