EQ settings and pick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I know I may catch some flames for this but...

I am looking for suggestions as to how to set an eq so that a pick player can sound more like a finger player. I am not sure if I will be able to achieve the same exact tone, probably not, but I would like to come as close as possible.

I am a pick player. I just feel more combfortable playing with a pick as I played guitar for 10 years previously. I know alot of you are going to say for the sound you are trying to achieve just learn to use your fingers. But at this point I just dont want to; I just enjoy playing with a pick much more. And if i dont enjoy playing as much, well I just begin questioning the point of it all.

So should i just boost the low-end eq (or cut all the other frequencies)? I assume the answer isnt that simple.

okay, just give me a sec while i put my flame proof bio-suit on. :ninja: :bag:

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Boost the lows, yes.

keep the highs down.. and keep the mids down a bit. but dont totally eliminate them.

you may want to look into heavy picks... i find they sound deeper and more fingerlike than thinner picks.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I usually use a .96mm thickness.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How about those rubber picks you can get?

Playing with a hard pick produces a much quicker attack than fingers do, and no amount of EQ will solve that, because the problem is the note envelope as well as the tonal balance. But a pick make of a softer material could give you the rounder warmer attack that fingers give.

Alex

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Never heard of rubber picks.

any links?

:)

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks Alex!

i am going to order some of those.

anyone have experience with them?

they have two thicknesses 3.1mm and 5.0mm. They come in soft, medium or hard. I think its best to order hard.

5mm seems pretty chunky to me so I guess I will stick with 3.1mm