1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Equalization tips for EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Bungee, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Bungee

Bungee

Sep 23, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    My BSX Series 2000 is an older type of EUB that doesn't sound as great as some of the ones that I've heard more recently, but I do find that it still comes in handy for some gigs. It consists of piezo and magnetic pickups, which offer huge tonal variety. I really notice that the Low Mid (250 Hz) band on my 400RB has a drastic effect on whether it sounds more like a bass guitar or an amplified double bass. I have studied previous threads and have learned that one of the principles of good EQ'ing is based on reducing frequencies and boosting volume instead of just boosting frequencies. I've really become aware of the importance of mids in defining the tone since I've begun to play double bass amplified on gigs. When I just use the piezo pickups on the EUB, the sound has no bottom, so I have to add a touch of magnetic to fill in the bottom. This method quickly reaches a point of diminishing returns though as the piezo sound is easily overpowered by the magnetic sound. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on EQ'ing that are specific to EUB to help obtain a more transparent tone, but with depth. This is my first post, so I hope it makes sense. Thanks !

2. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I'd say choose one or the other of the pickups, and tailor the sound, as you need to. Blending mag and piezo will have many overlapping freqs, and cause more problems. So maybe commit to the piezo for rock and piezo for jazz. But just use one pickup at a time at a time.

3. Bungee

Bungee

Sep 23, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    That's great advice - I'll give it a try ! :)

4. :confused:
    I'm sure you meant mag for rock and piezo for jazz!

5. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Yes, of course!

6. Bungee

Bungee

Sep 23, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been experimenting with the BSX Series 2000 for a few days now and the advice provided by mrpc and francois is right on! Once I committed to just using the piezo pickup and EQ'ing that sound alone, I got much better results. In the past I was scared off from trying that by the relative decrease in volume of the piezo pickup alone, but using with my Fishman Platinum Pro-EQ pre-amp, I can now dial in a much better sound with sufficient volume. It sounds a lot more like an amplified double bass now. I raised the action a bit too and I'm getting more thump. The bass still has a bit too much sustain, but it doesn't just sound like a giant fretless now. It has a better tone with good response. I have old spirocore orchestra gauge strings on there now. My next move will be to try some different strings (like maybe Flexocore 92s) to decrease the sustain a bit further. Thanks for the great advice guys ! I'll be able to have a lot more fun playing this instrument now ! :hyper: