1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Equinox?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jason Hollar, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Anyone currently using a D Tar Equinox as their primary preamp for DB?

2. tremblap

tremblap

Aug 6, 2007
    Huddersfield
    I would be very interested to hear about this pre-amp/EQ as well

pa

3. Bassprofit

Bassprofit

Aug 19, 2006
    Hello,

I have been using the Solstice for acoustic and electric bass for the last few years. Solstice is great, not only as a blend for mic and pick up on a Dbl bass, but as a pre amp for electric bass when I am going though back line equipment or rehearsal studio amps, OR teaching at the students home...I never have to bring an amp.... You can also run both inputs stereo by using a y cable. For electric, the stereo is killer, plus tuner mute good quality DI, effects loop..great sounding little box. Frames up the bass so you hear the bottom and top and has nice mids.
    Solstice is not designed as a stand alone pre amp. It is a unity gain device designed to go into the input of an amp, you can use it into a power amp but you will not get enough volume if there is a loud drummer, or large group.

Which brings in the Equinox.
    Equinox, aside from being an excellent and powerful parametric eq, has a 20 db gain button. So if you pair Solstice and Equinox with a power amp you have a top notch solid state bass amp, that is quite nasty.
    I am currently going out of the Solstice output into Equinox input and out to crown PB2 that I have had for 15 years. Dtar mentions going through one of the insertion points, which are like aux send and receive but then you lose the tuner mute and master volume...so I go out the main out and in to Equinox input .....
    You of course can read about these gadgets on DTAR's site.
    I am just saying that I am a professional musician in my 40's, and I have been very happy with the sound and quality of these DTAR units for all my bass needs. I love a SS tone!!!

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I just got one and have not gigged it yet, but can't say enough about how it's behaving in my music room!

I've tried to play double bass with loud rock bands (never orchestra or bluegrass), and of course feedback was the problem. Got an older Tech21 Acoustic DI to try to dial out the offending frequencies, but the most recent gig (AWFUL tone due to using a SEMI-parametric mid to kill the 110 Hz feedback but it GUTTED the lows).

At another band's rehearsal shortly after, I noticed a buddy of mine using an LR Baggs "Venue". I noticed it had a notch filter, and my sometimes embarrassingly slow brain finally made the connection. He let me borrow it to mess with, and it solved the feedback problem but the frequency bands weren't very bass-friendly.

So I got on Google looking for preamps with notch filters and found the D-TAR Equinox. Got a used one on ebay, and I'm thrilled with it. It has TWO notch filters which REALLY lets me crank the volume, even with the bass RIGHT in front of the speaker. Can't wait for the first time I can try this baby live!