1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Esperanza to live-stream entire composition and tracking session from studio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by derrico1, Jul 27, 2017.

1. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Interesting. The NYT reports that Esperanza Spalding has talked her record company into a marathon live-streamed session during which she'll compose and track her next album live in studio.

But recently Ms. Spalding, 32, has grown a little wary of her own ambitions, and for her next album, which she announced on Wednesday, she is heading straight to the creative source. Starting the morning of Sept. 12, she will spend 77 straight hours in the studio, bringing with her a few musicians but no pre-written songs. Over those roughly three days, she will write, arrange and record a full-length album, “Exposure,” while streaming the experience live to a web audience. She is aiming to finish 10 songs, most with lyrics.

GregC likes this.
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    She's a true artist, always changing. I looked into buying one of the CDs, pretty pricey so far.

3. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Very interesting. Thanks for the post. This should be interesting...

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I admire Esperanza's approach to upright and electric, love her singing, and think she has an interesting take on composition. I'll definitely check out some of it.

I love the idea of making the process and stages of composition and arrangement visible instead of only leaving them masked behind the finished recordings. That said, a 77-hour livestream seems like a weird form in which to share music. On one hand, it brings back to the surface otherwise invisible aspects of the music. But for the audience that would most be surprised by a song's early stages, a livestream this long seems all but inaccessible. Unless the audience is already deeply invested in arrangement and composition, a lot of this will probably be lost on folks—who will watch a few moments and drop out.

5. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Well I guess Sept 12 is as good a time as any to take some vacation!

6. brokenstoned

brokenstoned

Sep 20, 2012
    Providence
    Interesting and innovative way to record and distribute her art for today's music market.. I'm intrigued, and will buy into her vision. Don't know how much of the 77 hours I'll be able to watch, but I 'll be able to listen to it forever. Loved her Emily's D+ Evolution, and saw her perform it live twice in 2016. She's a treasure.

Joshua, jerry and derrico1 like this.