1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESR B2000 Needs some help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by enjoyfebruary, Apr 4, 2009.

1. So I have a 73' Earth Sound Research Superbass B-2000 that I can't get to sound right. When I bought it I had the whole amp gone through and cleaned up. This amp definitely gets pretty dirty when you get to about 12 o'clock which is fine with me. My trouble is I can't get any decent low end out of it. It sounds good until you play anything lower than an A on the 1st string. Basically I just need some suggestions on what can be changed or modified to keep the low end tight and punchy. One thing that i've been doing that seems to make it slightly better is linking the two channels since it has four inputs. I play with a Mexican Deluxe J-bass and a custom built P-bass. Usually I play it through a Vintage 8x10 SVT cab; or a Fender Bandmaster with 300watt 2x12 Carvin speakers. Any suggestions would be quite helpful. Thanks a bunch. Dan

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Personally, I've never found the traditional SVT 8x10 particularly good at reproducing the low end. The 2x12 cabinet is it an open back cabinet? Getting lows out of a guitar cabinet is not easy, they are usually far too small to use for bass.

Paul

3. The 2x12 is basically a bigger version of the traditional 2x12 Bassman closed back cab. Here is a link to the ampwares.com page. http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=18 ...And keep in mind it has replacement speakers in it.

4. I just bought one of these and played a show with it. It has tons of lowend, I have the bass knob at 9:00, it doesn't need to be higher. Mine came with new caps and orange drops, they may have modded something, I don't know. You might need to take it to a tech and have him take a look.