essential bass lines book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I would like to find a book full of versatile bass lines. Tabs preferred.... I am not looking for a book of known bass riffs -- but, more of a book of styles of bass riffs.

Any suggestions?
  2. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Check out Ed Friedland's "Bass Grooves" book.

If I remember correctly, this is a collection of some of Ed's Bass Player articles. He would pick a style and give the drum music (!) and bass line. The book has the added benefit of a CD so you can hear the lines.

I haven't seen the book but I have several of Ed's other books. His writing style is top shelf.
  3. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Sounds like you'd like Patrick Pfeiffer's "In Search of the Groove". It's an excellent resource. Unfortunately, the original version is no longer available, but that's because he's updated and rewritten it to be published by a new publisher (the original was self-published). Last I knew, it was supposed to be released around February, which should mean pretty shortly. The new version will include play along CD, notation and TAB, as well as some other new stuff. The original was strictly notation, no CD. ;)

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:
  4. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    This one might be out of print. It's a good book of styles. Not the lines from recordings, but original lines that are in the style of various players (Jerry Jemmott, Duck Dun, Jameson, McCartney, Harvey Brooks, Chuck Rainey, Rick Danko).

"Rock Riffs for Bass" by Tom Wolk Amsco Publishing #0-8256-2206-9

Makes for really good sight reading practice too.
  5. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Nice tip Pruitt. Patrick Pfeiffer's licks remind me of something Carol Kaye would do. Nothing negative intended here; just that they both seem to have similar styles to me.

So if henryjurstin13 likes Patrick's stuff he should check out Carol Kaye's instructional catalog too.