1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Essential Double Bass Texts/DVD's?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Leroy La Qua, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Leroy La Qua

Leroy La Qua

Nov 6, 2005
    I have recently purchased my first double bass and am about to start lessons with a local teacher. I am looking at purchasing a few double bass specific texts/dvd's to supplement my lessons and was hoping for some recommendations. I have no classical aspirations and will predominantly be playing jazz and blues.

I already own Ed Friedlands books as well as Ron Carter's Book, Ray Browns methods and Chuck Shers Improvisors Bass Method. At present I am considering purchasing the following also..

The Evolving Bassist Millenium Edition - Rufus Reid
    Upright Jazz Bass DVD - Ed Friedland

Any other recommendations? Do I need to get the Simandl books?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Rufus Reid's DVD is worth having as well as the book! :)

There are many good DVDs that are worth seeing - too many to mention here - although I would mention Ray Brown with Oscar Peterson and anything with Mingus! :)

3. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Leroy, the first thing you should do is locate a teacher for some lessons. There is a lot that goes into learning the instrument, and by just using books alone you are really short changing yourself and could end up with injuries. Once you have found a teacher, they will tell you what books you need to buy. If you locate a teacher who doesn't ask you to get a bow, then you may want to look for another teacher. I don't know of any here in town, including the jazz teachers, who would not have you doing extensive bow work. Simandl is the most common method book for beginners. If you hang out on this forum you will constantly see discussion of other methods as well, but many view these as supplemental to the tried and true approach presented in Simandl.

There is nothing new or special about this advice. It has been given here about twice a month for many years... It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile. People on the forum will know a little more about you, and might even be able to recommend teachers in your area.

Jim

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Are people actually reading threads!!?? :eyebrow:

5. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286059

Q: :confused:
    A: Get a Teacher :smug:

Jim's response is still sound as far as asking your teacher what books he or she recommends and working with the bow, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity to share the DB FAQ's :)

6. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    In my defense, it was 5:32 am when I made that post, and I had not yet had my first cup of coffee. Maybe I should avoid posting until after at least half of the first cup...

Jim

7. Yes, I believe a teacher can help you with this...

;)