1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

essex tuner mod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ajken, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ajken

ajken

Jun 22, 2009
    I'm trying to replace the tuners on my sx. My problem is I cannot get the chrome pieces that go on the front of the headstock off (I will show a picture to clarify). I am a bit of a noob, but I'm pretty sure these are supposed to come off before I put my new hipshot ultralites in. Also, I searced but no one seems to be having a problem like this. Please let me know what Im doing wrong. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    push!!

literally.... those things are press-fitted, and should pop out with a little persuasion.

3. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    yeah, push. it might help to use some sort of stick. perhaps a dowel of the correct diameter.

4. get a flat screw driver, place on the edge from the back and hammer very soft, keep going around the circle and repeat, that should work

5. DopplerShift

DopplerShift

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Tap it out from the back of the headstock with a hammer and a screwdriver. Just tap with light-med strength.

6. ajken

ajken

Jun 22, 2009
    Got em! Thanks for the help.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

Yep ... use your tools!

8. Mozilla

Mozilla

Jun 23, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Sometimes...using a socket from a socket wrench set....will fit into the hole and still mate up well to the other surface. They will also not be quite as sharp as a screwdriver blade.

9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

+1

Get your socket wrench set out and find the socket that's the perfect fit; a little smaller than the hole. Insert socket from rear, tap with hammer. Much safer and a "cleaner" solution than using a screwdriver.

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The socket method is the best way, and the screwdriver is the worst. If you can, use a nail set rather than a screwdriver. Those are meant to be pounded on, screwdrivers are not.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Get a hammer and a screw driver and tap them off.

or the socket thing.

Either way tap them out.

12. That is what I was going to suggest, a long socket and a couple of taps with a plastic hammer pops them right out.

MM

13. Mozilla

Mozilla

Jun 23, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Not bad for a first post.

I just picked up two SX basses from GC. Now, I can finally join the fun.

Taking them by the luthier tomorrow morning to get the necks fully checked before the testing window closes.

Thanks to all the SX followers for getting me hooked. I hope to have this pair fully running soon.