1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Etymotic Music Pro - anyone tried them?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bass.slinger, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Anyone try these?

Etymotic Research | Music•PRO Electronic Earplugs

They seem like a more reasonably priced (with less features of course) version of this:

3D AARO | Sensaphonics

I am finding that my current ER-20s make it too hard to hear the band leader call out the next song. I am also considering getting custom earplugs with swappable filters. These Music Pro models look interesting and the reviews have been just ok. So, anyone using them?

2. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Any one?

3. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Thanks. Read those and they were a mixed bag. Read on Amazon that they had poor bass response and then one reviewer on another site was happy using them as a bass player. I can get them discounted from Sweetwater but they are not returnable. They are returnable from Etymotic, but are full price. So, just trying to get some TBer reviews before spending the money.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    For that kind of money, I'd get customs made with swappable filters. Before that, you might try these which have less attenuation:

Hearos High Fidelity Ear Plugs

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Just an attenuating ear plug seems like too much of a single tasker.
    IEM will attenuate the ambient sound, and a room mic with a limiter can let you hear call outs between songs. The limiter controls any load sounds from getting through.

6. tedw

tedw Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I like the idea of the Music Pros because:
    1. They were recommended by a leading Audiologist who specializes in helping musicians.
    2. I like the high end boost (with the 9 db cut) to compensate my high-end hearing loss.
    3. I like how they engage only if sound exceeds a threshold
    4. I think they have a 30-day money back guarantee...cutting the risk.

That having been said, I have not tried them.

I did try the 3D AARO unit over the weekend with their 2-driver IEM's (Sensaphonics loaned me a demo). A big investment, but I think it's totally worth it. It worked very well for me using universal fits, and I've order the molded IEM, which will work even better. It's amazing to me how easy it was to work with very low monitor levels. The ambient capabilities worked great as well. I'm ordering one tomorrow. My wife sings with my group, and I may get her one as well. Extravagant, but .... Wow! Very nice tools.

Looking at your other post on this subject, it sounds like you are working hard to find good sound and hearing protection at the same time. I applaud you for this and wish I had done that 10 years ago.

The Sensaphonics staff is very good about answering questions if you're inclined to call them.

I hope this helps.

7. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Ordered a pair a of them today and will post a review once I get them. Fingers crossed...

8. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Got on the list for a Sensaphonics 3D AARO demo unit. Should have one to try in a week or two. Cool idea, but very expensive.

9. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    Not too expensive if it helps you save your ears :) I'm one of those big spenders that has spent $3,000 ++ on basses, so I figure monitoring tools that cost a much are doable.

My AARO unit with custom fits should be here in a week or so. I also ordered the db check unit so I can objectively measure the level of sound in my ears. I'm gonna have to sell some a bass or two to balance the books on this deal, but I think it's going to be totally worth it.

Please let us know what you think of the Music Pros. I'm tempted to get those as well.

10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I have never understood folks that will spend $2k on a bass and put it in a gig bag, or spend $1000 on a wireless IEM system and use cheap single driver buds.
    It's like the old stereo system proverb.. you can have the best audio gear on the planet but if you listen to it thru cheap speakers (erg: IEM buds) it will sound like cr*p and you'll blame your expensive gear, not the speakers..

11. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I agree! Plus, the hearing-protection side of sound systems get's ignored all too much. There are not enough audiologists who truly understand musicians' monitoring issues. In fact, I've only found a few in North America (one in Toronto, one in Chicago, one in LA).

12. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    that's why I'm upgrading my IEM's to the ADEL technology.. waiting on 64 Audio A8's to be built!

13. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Watching thread.
    FYI, since my day job is engineering and verifying specs/comparing tech toys...I called the pocket protector folks at ETY after comparing response curves between their military, law enforcement, and these active ear plugs(Under their gunsports/tactical tab). They indicated these are the same other than the electronics having slightly different response curves.

Day job involves a petrochem facility and foam earplugs are the norm.....kaint hear anything(-35db NRR) so I checked if these are OK to use. They said OK. So I may get them for work, band, and shooting sports, a trifecta win.

14. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Received them Wednesday. Tried them out with just bass only and they did attenuate the bass frequencies but were livable.

Took them out on a gig last night. Put them in before sound check and they saved me from some serious feedback due to the sound guy messing around. Could hear other people talking clearly and the comfort was good. Made everything sound a little processed, but again still livable.

Unfortunately, once we started playing they dropped too much of the bass out of the mix when the guitars were playing. Had to replace them with my old passive ETY Plugs after a couple of songs. Bummer.

Really cool concept but they need a second bass driver or a boost mode for the bass frequencies. Talked to Etymotic about them and the engineer was really great and upfront about their low frequency output. He said they would seriously consider either a second driver or a bass emphasis option for people like bassists, drummers, and other bass instrument musicians. Deciding if I will keep them for wood / metalworking since they really do work great with the bass caveat. Etymotic will take them back for a full refund if I decide not to keep them. Very impressed with the level of customer service from them.

15. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    Are you talking about the MusicPros? Dang! That's too bad. Is it possible you did not have an adequate seal in your ears, leading to a reduction in bass feel?

16. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I heard about the ADEL technology, but don't know much...what do you like about it?

17. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    My 3D AARO unit arrives next week and I'll be using it in 3 services at church next weekend. I'm really looking forward to it.

18. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Will let you know when they get here... I ordered them based on the technology and protecting my hearing.. I've already got 8+ hrs use on my current 1964 Qi's this weekend, and going to add 3 more tonight!