Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eub strings?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by shwashwa, Jun 6, 2004.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i play a knutson messenger bass with helicore pizz strings (light gauge). i like them pretty well, and they sound even over most of the bass, but when i play the D on the g string in the thumb position (or any note higher) you cant hear it at all while the band is playing. in the practice room there's not much difference because i'm right on top of the speaker. why is this happening? i'm thinking that even though they're light strings they still feel kind of stiff on my bass and maybe since i'm stopping the string so high and the string length is so short at that point then maybe there's not enough ampitude to the string so therefore no volume. should i try a lighter string? i do alot of playing in that range so this is very important to me.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    In my opinion, on a EUB, you'd probably get even less volume with a lighter string of the same type. I'd try the mediums instead.
    I have no experience with the helicore pizz, but he Helicore Hybrids are probably the loudest string I tried. Maybe the hybrids light D&G?

Other than that, could it be related to the Messenger's sensor design?

Did you discuss the problem with Mr. Knutson?

If it's really a string problem, you may need to experiment with mix and match, but it may be expensive.
    Since you play a lot at thumb position, I guess you'd rather play a lower tension string.
    You can find low tension strings, with a strong volume, in the gut or synthetic core categories.
    I find the Oliv and Eudoxa have high output and easy to play, but are expensive.
    I've recently discover, and fell in love, with the Innovation braided (140B series) solo G.
    Warm tone yet singing, strong volume, good articulation, and affordable. (and more stable and durable than gut)

Hope this helps!
    François

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    here are some strings i have that i can try... spirocore weich. spiro core solo, spirocore regular (red) but i didnt like them when they were on there. corelli (lightest gauge), labella black nylon (they're stiff), kolstein heritage (perlon core), out of these strings which ones would you try first? just a reminder. the strings that are on sound fine, and the g sounds fine too, just in that one range it's lacking. the others sound fine in the high thumb position...
    which one of the above strings would you imagine to have the most sustain in the messenger?

thanks

4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Since I don't like Spiros, and since the Corellis are the lightest gauge, I'd try the Heritage. (also because I really want to try them sooner or later...)
    But I have no idea if they'd give you the sustain you seem to want.
    My feeling is that your problem doesn't come from the strings but your Messenger's sensor.
    Didn't I read somewhere that he changed the sensor design recently and could retrofit older basses?
    I'd write him to get his opinion on your issue at mssngr@sonic.net
    I can only provide feelings about your problem since I never tried a Messenger EUB, and my taste with strings being more on the orchestral type of sound.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thanks, i'll contact him, but i dont think he has modified the pickup. i have the barbera on it, and its fine on my 2 uprights that i have it on... and if it werent working correctly then the whole g string would sound different, not just a few notes in a certian range...

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump

i have a messenger as well. just curious....

7. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    In that case it may just be a case of uneven instrument response.
    If you find a string with a stronger output at thumb position, there are many chances it'll sound too loud in lower positions, so your problem won't be solved...
    Anyway, I wish you good luck with your quest, I can't help more!