Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EUB that sounds like a fretless

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by FlawLaw, Feb 23, 2006.

1. I play upright. I have tried to play the horizontal bass, but can't get the fingering down. However, I like fretless bass sound and the mwah. Is there a EUB that would be a similar scale as an upright that would have a fretless bass sound?

2. I don't own one, but I tried and NS the other day at a local music store. The one I tried had the optional EMG magnetic pickups. When using the magnetic pickups, it made it sound more like a fretless than upright to me.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm gonna get slammed by the DB guys cuz I think they consider it a toy, but I've got a Dean Pace and it definitely has the fretless sound. Lots of mwwwaahhhh... almost too much, and a great price tag. I got mine about a year ago and I love it.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Using a magnetic pickup like suggested, also lowering the string action as low as possible (without buzzing) and using Spirocore strings will make about any EUB sound like a giant fretless BG!

5. Francois - Are there any particular Spirocores you would suggest as being the best for giving an NS CR4 a very "fretless" sound? I am looking for that sound for a particular project and don't have a fretless BG (did have once but didn't get on with it). I searched on 'Spirocores' but didn't really find an answer to this question. You mention that you use them but it seems you use a mixture? Thanks.

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Either the Weichs or regulars.
    The solos are darker sounding.
    The starks could be another choice, but they're quite stiff!
    :)

I only have one Thomastik string left on my EUB, the E.
    I had a solo Spiro one for a while, and yesterday I put on a Superflexible.
    I have a couple of other E's to try until I decide if I put the solo spiro back on.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Dean Pace Bass

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I would say, that if you're an upright player, regular or stark Spiros (depending on string length) would do you. You want the strings kinda stiff so you can get them low.