1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EUB's with endpins...NO STANDS

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by uethanian, Aug 15, 2007.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    well i had no idea of what to search for (and im suprised that there's no DB forum specifically for luthierie), so sorry if this has been covered.

someday i'd like to build my own EUB, but it needs to have a real endpin and upper bout. i had a dean pace and i absolutely hated having it on a tripod. i felt very disconnected from the instrument. so can anyone recommend some good designs, and maybe show some EUB's that they've made? thanks.

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Setup and repair is the default luthierie forum. Lots of good info there.

As for the endpin/upper bout dilemma I struggled with it with a Framus EUB and an Ampeg baby bass and settled on an Azola Bugbass on a tripod stand with a ball joint that had a sweet spot where it would hold the bass where you put it but allow you to move with the instrument as you would an acoustic. It had the stock adjustable bout simulator and sitting most of the time I was very happy with the playing position. Something I've always been curious about but never had the chance to try is the T endpin peg that Bill Merchant uses on his EUBs. It looks like it solves the problem of the bass spinning away from you which is an issue with a lot of EUBs not on stands. His basses also have some of the nicest and most realistic looking upper bouts I've seen on an EUB. Check it out here:http://www.merchantbass.com/vertical/bodybars.htm

3. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    wow, really custom stuff...for not that much money either