EV Subs TX1181 ?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by GeorgeG, May 16, 2012.

1. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Can anybody tell me if these subs have built-in crossovers and at what frequency?

Thanks.

2. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    The TX1181's do not have a built-in xover, but rather a built in lpf.
    However, a quick search did not get me the frequency of aforementioned filter.

Rather, the freq. response is listed as 50-160Hz (-3dB) and so you should crossover your mains at whatever frequency you find to sound good.

Also, EV recommends a 30Hz hpf on the sub.

3. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thx Hacter.
    In the owner's manual it shows you can connect as is:
    Amp >TX1181> TX1152 (top box) - no crossover required. Has anyone tried it like this and would it really work well without an active x-over.

4. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    I presume you are referring to page 12 of the Tour X manual.
    It does show the mains daisy-chained off the subs.
    However, given that the TX1181's do not have a crossover, it would seem that in this case, one would be running the mains and subs in series, which, although not common, may work.

But for proper crossed over operation, you should run the TX1181's from a separate amp with a crossover in front of it methinks.

5. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Agreed makes more sense that way. i'm sure how they show it in their manual on pg 12,works too but probably not as transparent overall compared to including an active x-over.
    thx for your help!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021