1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eventide Eclipse for bass effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Baron, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    I am in need of advice whether the Eventide Eclipse (or any other Eventide) is a good option for me as a bass player.

I have been in search of a rack unit that is one stop shopping for high quality bass guitar effects and processing. Silly me.... I tried a Kurzwiel KSP-8 and it sounded great, but had very slow patch change and does not have a pitch transposer/octaver (???). I also tried a Bass PODxt Pro and Boss VF1, and while they are both very good units, they lack depth of field and punch.

I use a lot of filters (Mu-tron,Q-tron), Octavers, and Bass Synth (Akai Deep Impact/Electro Harmonics) but have audiophile sensibilities – there in lies the rub. I have always loathed the many connections and mismatches created by using pedals and would love to have a rack mountable, presetable option.

Does the Eclipse sound good on bass guitar in terms of EQ and compression? Can it do a decent classic octaver sound and an envelope filter at the same time? 80% of the way there would make me happy.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

2. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    Bump

3. From my experience with the unit it's main strengths seem to be it's pitch shifting and it's delays. You will probably want to hold on to your dedicated envelope filters because they will respond better and be tuned more appropriatly for bass. It will definately handle octaving or any other pitch shifting duties. It has execelent flangers and and other modulation effects. Also very good reverbs. Once you get into programing the thing a bit you can find lots of more radical stuff like feeding back its comb filter and all manner of nasty digital scraping sounds if your into that sort of thing. But again you will want to hold on to your dedicated bass synth processers for more traditional bass synth duties. I'll be looking to pick up one in the future once I get my main amp squared away.