1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Evolving plans, some questions.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fish man, Apr 23, 2006.

1. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm in the planning stage of a custom homebrew bass (my first), and I have a couple of questionsss. First I'll go back over the specs real quick.

Body: (swamp?) Ash, based on a P-Bass outline, except with longer top horn, deeper treble side cutaway, more agressive contouring, thinner profile and a longer neck pocket. Butterscotch blonde trans finish.
    Hardware etc: Gotoh cloverleaf tuners, chrome everything, tele bass control plate.
    Electronics: at the moment, Nord MM in the bridge and nord J in the neck, just volume and blend pots (with maybe a booster of some kind for the MM)
    Neck: 24 frets, black block inlay and binding, Tele bass headstock, J-bass profile

I was planning to get the wood from a cabinetmaker friend in Montreal, but I'm not sure how it should be dried before I start cutting it up and routing it. Will it need anything apart from drying? (will it even need drying?)

And then after all that I'll have to finish it. How would I go about that, or should I not even try on a first project?

As for the neck, I'll drop into a local luthier's this week to arrange to have it built (I dont think I'm up to the challenge right yet).

thats it (for now)

thanks

fm

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    sounds nice. don't be afraid of finishing. i'm working on my first bass and it looks like i'm gonna have a burst finish now!

i personally don't like tele bass stuff, but whatever floats your boat. the rest of it sounds really good, especially the Nordstrands.

3. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    One thing I forgot is that I basically know nothing about bridges. The only designs I have experience with are the classic Fender style and the classic MM bridge. Does any one have any suggestions for a solid, easy-to adjust 4-string that will be able to give me string through body and standard string anchoring? I don't really like the Fender bridge (ie the saddles not being in channels of some kind) so I'm looking for something that looks and feels nice and stout, and I'm not picky about weight.

4. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada