Exercises and Reading

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Phish Bassist, May 13, 2004.

1. I ordered my bass and it has yet to come, but I would like to start on some exercises and reading before it comes. Is there any exercises I can start now so Im not terribly out of shape with my forearms and wrists before it comes? I've heard the beginning pains can be pretty brutal. Also, is there any suggested books about the bass? I would like to learn all the music theory as it applies to the bass guitar, and maybe a good beginner book or two to get me started.

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Welcome aboard phriend.

If you know anybody with an acoustic guitar - or any kind of guitar for that matter, you can get some useful practice with that. Just pretend it's a bass. The tighter string spacing will be a blessing in disguise - I find if I slap around on my friends guitar for a while and go back to the bass it's much easier (just don't break the strings). Reading is a whole different ballgame and is obviously much more mental than physical...
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I suggest a book called "Note Reading Studies for Bass."

I wouldn't worry too much about "being out of shape." Once the bass comes, find yourself a teacher, commit to your practices, study your technique to make sure it's safe and effective, and you'll be fine.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'll second that. Great book.
  5. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Closely listen to as many recordings as you can. Listen for every nuance and detail of the bass line (and other parts).

Hum or sing these bass lines to ingrain them in your brain.

Music is an aural experience. A book can certainly help, but it seems like too many aspiring musicians attempt to turn music learning into a highly cerebral, academic pursuit and place the act of actually making music on the backburner.