1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Expanding our Vocabulary

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by HowLow, Jul 27, 2007.

1. HowLow

HowLow Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Ok, so I tried this on the BG side thinking that the overwhelming numbers would be key in getting turned on to new material but so far nada.. I'm sure that if we pool all our knowledge of styles and a favorite audio sample, we can all increase our vocabulary and help each other find new sources of inspiration... Please add what moves you...

Cuban Son - Si Sabes Bailar Mi Son by Eliades Ochoa
    Rumba/Flamenca - Vaya Rumba (compilation)
    Guaracha - La Negra Tiene Tumbao by Celia Cruz
    NeoGypsy/Spanish/Flamenca - Ojos de Brujo
    Afro Jazz - Karim Ziad
    Mambo - Cachao López
    NeoSoul - Experience by Jill Scott

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It sometimes comes from outside sources. In my case, people generally perceive me to be a jazz bassist, and will approach me with an invitation to play on their live or recorded projects that are not necessarily straightahead jazz. One example would be my introduction to Hawaiian music after I moved here a 23 years ago. Now it's become a part of my vocabulary, and I have the honor of being in the company of the greatest artists in Hawaiian music.

A few years ago, I started goofing around with some friends on some Gypsy jazz stuff, and subsequently learned a whole bunch of great original music which I might not have heard otherwise. we've also enjoyed quite a bit of commercial success, which was a nice surprise, since we basically started out just blowing through some tunes in my kitchen! More recently, I was approached to work on a Tango Nuevo type project, and am in the process of learning a whole bunch of music that is new to my ears. It's always really exciting to me.

3. HowLow

HowLow Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Right there with you Marcus.. A few years ago I started getting calls to play with a few west-african & cuban groups so I've been working actively to learn as much as I can in the various subgenres and subtle differences in rhythm/accent/etc. I'm curious.. can you point me to some "Tango Nuevo" & "Gypsy Jazz" as well as the Hawaiian music you really get off on. I love discovering new music...:hyper:

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh boy... where to begin?!

In Hawai'ian music, my personal preference is towards the more roosty-oriented traditional stuff, even though I'm more commonly employed by more contemporary artists such as Amy Hanaiali'i and Willkie K. My favorite stuff is probably the older music of the late Gabby Pahinui and his contemporaries. One of my favorite former employers is a guy from Hana by the name of Pekelo.. his voice and guitar style are very similar to that of Gabby. Other favorites that come to mind are Keola Beamer, Peter Moon, and John Cruz. There are too many to even start! Check into www.nahenahe.net for a great introduction to Hawai'ian music of all types.

Gypsy Jazz begins with Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grapelli; that would be your starting point. Modern masters that I like are Bireli Lagrene, Angelo DeBarre, The Rosenberg Trio, and many more. A good place to start might be at www.djangobooks.com

For Tango Nuevo, I'm just getting started, but for me, it all begins and ends with the great bandoneon player and composer Astor Piazolla. It's some of the most dynamic, thrilling music I've ever had the pleasure of learning. A Google search on his name will get you started, and link you to other modern players in this vein.

5. HowLow

HowLow Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Thanks Marcus, I'll definitely spend some time checking all that out..

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sorry on a misspelling in my original post; it's actually Astor Piazzolla.

PS... I wanted to mention a couple of other people, now that you have me thinking about it :smug: ....

The first is violinist Florin Niculescu. What a phenomenal musician, my favorite violinist... there are some great clips on Youtube of him with Bireli Lagrene and another favorite, accordionist Richard Galliano.

And the other is Brazilian guitarist Romero Lubambo, who's someone I keep blabbing about to anyone who'll listen... check out his CD with pianist Cesar Camargo Mariano. That CD is one of my top five desert island discs.