Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extension cab question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by greitzer, May 18, 2005.

1. I've posted a few questions before about getting more volume from my relatively small combo amps (and I appreciate everyone's responses). I'll ask one more question and that'll be it . . . I think.

My combo amp is GK MB150S 112, rated at 100 watts for the internal speaker, 150 watts with an extension cabinet. The internal speaker is 12". I don't have an extension cabinet for it.

If I want to add an extension cabinet for loudness in a big band, brassy situation, here's what I'm looking at: GK's own MB 112 extension cab, an 8-ohm, 150-watt-rated 12" cab made specifically for my combo amp; or a Hartke 2x10 cab, also rated at 150 watts, 8 ohms. Any thoughts on which would give me more of a volume boost? Based on the "moving more air" theory, I'd think the 2x10 cab would give me more boost in volume, but on the other hand, if it's the same amount of wattage, just divided among more speakers, maybe it wouldn't. Any advice? Thanks in advance, as always.

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    the 2x10, more air to move.

3. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    John,

Are the GK extension speaker and the Hartke 2X10 your only choices? Although it has been a very long time since I owned a Hartke cab, as I recall they are not too terribly efficient. I'd think about possibly trying to go with a more efficient speaker(s), which will make more use of the power that you have available from your combo amp. Although it's tempting to say go with more cones, a very efficient 1X12 cab will likely sound louder than a relatively inefficient 2x10 cab.

-bob

4. Bob -- they're not necessarily the only choices, but they're the two I'm focusing on so far (the Hartke because it offers two speakers for the same price as many one-speaker cabinets I've seen advertised). I appreciate your advice, though.

5. For what it's worth, I've been using the little GK amp with the GK extension cabinet (in a big-band situation) for about three years now. It sounds great, has plenty of volume, and is quite portable.

But I can understand your hesitation - there are lots of alternatives out there. I'm currently seeking a cabinet (for another amp/purpose) and there's plenty of choices....

6. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Just my opinion based on my own experiences, but I am a fan of keeping your speakers consistent. Mixing different brands and/or sizes of drivers (designed for the same frequency range, anyway), like adding a Hartke 2-10" to your GK 12" invites unwanted issues like phase problems due to the different responses, performance and sound of different drivers/cabinets. I think you will get a cleaner, more accurate and less muddy sound sticking with the G&K.

Neither would be my first choice for cabinets, but many, many folks use the G&K and dig it. Few people I know use Hartke for DB.

7. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have had good luck with an Acme B-1 used as an extension speaker with the GK MB150. It is relatively light and certainly affordable. You can also pick them used pretty regularly. Although the GK is no longer my main amp, it was for a long time and adding the Acme made it sound much fuller and richer, and in general better for double bass. When it was my main amp, I ran a Fishman BP100/Crown Condenser mic combo thru a PMB I and into the aux in on the back of the amp. This got me a lot of compliments as compared to trying to make the built-in GK preamp, designed for BG, work with a string bass. OTOH, I have the GK in Scotland at the moment, and when I'm there I'm using my Eminence with the modified Realist pickup. The Realist sounds wonderful through the GK.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My teacher uses a GK MB150 and a Bag End 1x10 extension cabinet. The pair sounds fabulous. If I used a GK combo, I would be inclined to get an extension cab with a 10" speaker, rather than go with another 12".

9. pjleo

pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    hello.
    i have used a small alum bass 110 cab as an ext. with the gk112. in big band / wedding band situations and always had plenty of bottom/volume.
    so i think a small cab would work for you. an added bonus if you are in to traveling lite. good luck.

10. Thanks to all of your responses, obviously there truly are a bunch of choices. Just curious, why would you go with a 10-inch extension rather than a 12?

11. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    "...why would you go with a 10-inch extension rather than a 12?"

Convenience, weight and price!! Plus the Acme is a 3-way speaker and it sounds wonderful. It doesn't need a 12" speaker to sound great.

12. If you want a significant boost in level when you add a speaker, make sure it's efficient. A spec of 100 dB (1 watt@1 metre) or more is good. The Nemesis 210 has a smooth uncoloured sound, goes deep and has 103dB efficiency. Eden's CX110 also performs well.
    Acme's sound good but need lots of watts.
    I find Hartke & GK colour the sound a lot - that's OK if you like their sort of colours!

13. LowNote, thanks for the explanation. And ToneRanger, I appreciate the suggestions. I will continue my research. Thanks to all for responding.

14. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Readers should realize that Mr. Hansen is referring to the GK MB150E which has a stereo aux in, the MB150S does not [at least the last time I looked at mine].