1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extension Cab Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shawshank72, Sep 30, 2009.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I know I know, Someone playing for as long as i have should know this simple answer, but i want to make sure with the pros of TB. Im using an SWR 8004 going into a 4ohm Avatar 2x12. As of now I am running the minimal ohms allowed, but what if i used the output on the speaker cab to chain it to another speaker cab. Would this effect the amp? Would it do any harm? Would the speaker need to be a specific ohm?
    Money is tight and we are gigging alot now and i need more oomph for the stage. OR Is this even worth doing?
    Thanks All:bassist:

2. If you're correct, and that amp only goes down to 4 ohms, then you're done. You can't add another cab. Daisy-chaining a second cab has the exact same effect as plugging it into your amp -- adding an 8-ohm cab will take you to 2.67 ohm (roughly), adding a 4-ohm cab will take you to 2 ohm. Either way, don't try it.

-jb

3. Agreed. You don't want to fudge that minimum ohm rating. It can damage your amp.

Are you just looking for more stage volume? You might get some of what you want by selling the Avatar 4ohm and replacing it with two 8 ohm cabs. You'll be pushing the same amount of power from your amp, but you'll be moving more air and the speakers will be closer to your ears.

Another option would be to tilt your rig back a little. I installed a little spring loaded handle on the bottom of my Avatar cab like EA puts on some of theirs. The handle serves and a tilt back amp stand. Points the speakers up to my ears (a little) instead of my ankles.

I suppose I could have just installed ears on my ankles, but then I wouldn't be able to wear boots. ;)

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    You can add a cab in series and not hurt the amp. I'd see if you can borrow a 4 or 8 ohm cab and try it first in series with your current cab. The amp won't be running at "4 ohm power", but you'll likely gain volume from the extra speakers.