1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

F Bass wait is over

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by puff father, May 12, 2006.

1. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Edited to add more pics and unbiased review!

And yes it does exist! Picked it up just today (May 12, 2006). I'm so tired from driving all day I haven't plugged it in at home yet. I do have a gig Saturday night though!

Basic "F" formula, BN5, ash body, maple neck and fb. :hyper:

Auburn burst finish.

GuitarClinic1.

BN5AuburnFtF66. BN5AuburnF150. BN5AuburnBK65.

BN5Auburnnpu50.

Al

:bassist:

Review:

GK 800RB
    Eden D-210T (8ohm) into top, 100W output
    Eastern Acoustics 1x15 (EV driver/also 8ohm) into bottom (?)W output
    Both cabs run full range

After one gig I am ecstatic. She cuts through like crazy. I actually had to keep backing off on my volume because the purity of the tone was carrying so well throughout the medium sized club. While the whole band was playing I could hear every note very clearly, while soloing (twice) the bell-like tone was awesome, also on every note. Being a four string player I was ever so slightly lost a couple of times but by the end of the night I was becoming more and more comfortable with the fifth string.

Speaking of the fifth string..., holy ****! It is incredible, room shaking, robust, clear, awesome. It is perfectly balanced with the other strings (new for me in my limited experience with 5'ers). Even when playing 5th, 6th frets and higher on the on the B string it was so solid and clear. Down low it is amazing. Rich, full..., I am blown away. I woke up wishing I had another gig today!

If I felt I need a little more low end I'd tweak the bass boost and it was there, brightness the same and the mid boost would just make the tone leap out in the mix.

It is quite light and is balanced perfectly (the only glaring flaws with my Alembic 4-string). The neck feels great and the action is very low-medium. I found that a light touch was all it really needed to speak beautifully. I did have to search where to pluck with my right hand; just a matter of getting used to it. The pickups are only 4 or 5 mm from the bottom of the strings and that is much different than the Alembic. I slapped and popped a little too and it did sounded great. Again, even, clear, crisp.

Appearance wise it is almost the exact opposite of my jet black Alembic Spoiler bass. It floors me every time I look at it. I will get some more pics up when I get a chance.

PS: George said "Would you like a gig bag or hard case?" and, for me, it was pretty much a no-brainer. I got it with a TKL super light weight case much like the Sadowky I tried came in.

It still hasn't fully sunk in that I actually own this bass yet. I think that the twenty years I have waited to get a 5'er have been worth it to end up with this Fbass.

I am a very pleased customer and an affirmed fan of F's!

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Nice.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Very nice. I really like the finish.:cool:

Congrats!

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    NICE!!!!!!

5. Very nice, Congrats!

6. Sweet bass, Al. Let us know how it does on the gig.

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    That is a good formula!:bassist:

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Sweet! Congratulations. Gotta love the burst.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Stunning! That is an amazing looking bass! I would love to get another F one day. It is extremely tempting especially since I live only about 15-20 minutes from the shop!

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Lovely.

Plug it in already!!!

Marshall

11. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Congratulations, I am sure you will enjoy it.

12. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    beautiful! i really like that finish on F Basses.

13. Nice acquisition, Al. Welcome to the Fbass family!:smug:

Kind regards,
    Beebebop,
    Beijing.

14. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Congrats!!! I love those burst. Caramel, cherry?

Just be a little more careful on the finish and where you put it.
    I left it on a leather drum throne and guess what... it has vague imprints on the nitro finish now. Not a big deal but "first cut is the deepest"

Also you might find it helpful to put PDA/camera protective films cut to the size of the pickup so your fingers wouldn't wear the paint out so fast.

15. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Yes, I like it too! Way to go!!!

16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Nice choice!

17. HELLOCCTV

HELLOCCTV

May 7, 2006
    Cambridge MA
    nice bass
    lucky man

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Very nice. Congrats.

19. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    eh, it's alright.

20. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification

I've done this to my F Bass. While it does protect the finish, if you do it make sure you want to leave them on.....FOREVER. The adheasive on the proctective film actually over time (this happens quickly) binds to the finish, which is very weak and soft. When you remove them it doesn't strip the paint, but it takes some with it, leaving a very rough, lighter finish. My film is now on there for good!

I wish Geroge would use a stronger finish. I know that it is supposed to sound better, but I'm skeptical....but then again other than the finish, my bass is PERFECT.

I guess I could get a refinish done someday (although not through George who charges like $800!).