1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F# Ibanez 6-string conversion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jchigginsm20, Apr 10, 2010.

1. jchigginsm20

jchigginsm20

Feb 9, 2010
    Dundee, NY
    Rather than spend huge amounts of money on a custom Conklin, I'm thinking of utilizing a Ibanez SR506. Recut the nut for a larger F# sharp tuned string below the low B(recut all the nut for the rest of strings down one-F#,B,E,A,D,G). I'm curious if a larger string will fit on the bridge(Conklin.150 or .165) and whether a extra long scale 35" Elixir B string will tune down to F# on a 34" scale bass without flab. Will the Bartolini pu's deliver at 23.12 Hz?

2. Hi.

I did just that with a HBB6000 (34").

I recut the nut, no problems there.

The mono-rail bridges were a breeze as well, had to top load F#BEA though. (Mainly for intonation, the bridges are located incorrectly)

I used the Warwick DL set so the F# is .175. No floppiness that would bother me.

The cheapo Chinese soap-bars on mine reproduce the character of the F# well enough so I'd make a wild guess that the Bartolini's will as well.

A whole different topic will be the need of the said fundamental, and Your rigs ability to amplify it. But You probably have seen those threads already ;).

Regards
    Sam

3. jchigginsm20

jchigginsm20

Feb 9, 2010
    Dundee, NY
    Thanks for your input. I would of course like to use an Elixer string, only they don't go that big. I'll check out the Warwick string you mention. I use Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000 and 2x10. Have tried the Schroeder BMF 2x15 and don't think it'll reproduce a pleasing sound at those frequencys. I've yet to try my Yamaha SW118 pa speakers and I've looked over the Bill Fitzmaurice website. As far as amps, Ampeg SVT3 PRO, Carvin BX1200 and QSC PLX, one or more of these will get the job done I'm sure.

4. Hi.

You're welcome.

As You can find from the amps section, there's quite a bit debate about the rig requirements.

FWIW I use a FAME BVH300 (Smarvo) tube amp, Laney 410 nad HK 115. On gigs also.
    Im sure that Your rig will do nicely as well.

The Warwick Dark Lord set is from the Black Label series.

Regards
    Sam