Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fab

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cowboy jesus, Mar 9, 2006.

1. hey can a fab pedel be used on a bass

2. do you mean the danelectro fab pedals? if so, of course. you can use any guitar effect on bass

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 on guitar peds on bass, though you might lose some low end. This is especially so on dist/od/fuzz. I don't own any of the fabs but generally this is the case on dist/od/fuzz's...

4. MastaBassist10

MastaBassist10

Mar 9, 2006
    ^Except with the EhX Muff series, my Double Muff sounds great.

5. :) sweet thats great to know because i want to get the flanger one so badand not have to spend a lot of money on another one

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Yep. I own an English Muff'n (and have some samples posted). When I run it through my Para Driver (with blend on full), I acctually have to turn the bass down :eek:

Hope you enjoy it!

7. well when you turn the blend on full is that your bass gets to loud or something else

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The Para Driver is a tube emulator (same with the Bass Driver), so the bass freqs get boosted a little, just like I'd expect a real tube to "warm" up the sound.

Anyway, the English Muff'n is a fuzz that uses real tubes (2x 12AY7s). Because the EM only uses 12V to drive the tubes, you do get an awesome fuzz (see the samples if you don't believe ;) ), but you don't get an obvious "warming" effect. Until you put it in front of the PD. Then whatever small amount of natural bass boost the EM has is multiplyed by the PD. It's not a big amout, as about an 1/8th of a turn on the EMs low knob corrects it, but it's there.

I had it setup at one point so that I could switch between "fat" (PD) and "ultra fat" (PD+EM).

Kind of a long explenation, but a couple of really good pedals.

9. woah thats pretty cool

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    The bassist in one of my bands (I play guitar for this one), uses the red Fab Distortion on bass, and it sounds pretty darn good for $15. He's not exactly looking for a hi-fi sound, so the little thing does good.