Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fable on XBOX

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I just finished playing through Fable on XBOX.

The good news: It's a very compelling, addictive game with great gameplay and gorgeous landscapes. The fighting system and physics engine are amazing.

The bad news: Load times are a bitch--and you encounter them too frequently when trying to traverse the lands. I won it in just over 10 hours.

Bottomline: Don't buy. Rent.

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    10 hours!!!! :scowl:

That's too bad, it looked amazing. But then again I don't even own a console but I'm looking to get back in the console scene. It'll have to be a PS2 though so I can have my beloved Tekken. :bassist:

3. I had some really high hopes for Fable. Looks like they were just dashed away. After the fabulous storyline in Panzer Dragoon Orta, it looked like RPGs on XBOX were going to be astounding. Oh well...I guess we're entitled to the occasional letdown.

4. :scowl:

5. :scowl:

6. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    What the hell's wrong with Tekken?!?!?!?!

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Anyone who loved Squaresoft's title "Vagrant Story" on the PS1 will eat Fable up. The later has a much less complicated fighting engine and no box puzzles, but otherwise they are eerily similar.

8. Umm...how can I say this nicely...that it's Tekken? ;)

I never really liked Tekken. It's the same game everytime it comes out. That's why I abhored the PS2 version of Soul Cal 2. They put in Hiachi as the "exclusive" character. Come on, the reason I liked SoCal was because it WASN'T Tekken.

Tekken's decent but nowhere near the calibre of other fighting games such as Soul Calibur.

9. Xbox version pwns anyways....Spawn is like THE best character. Too bad he isn't on the arcade version...I'd tear those arcade nerds up :( :D

I'll probably rent fable now on that suggestion.

10. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I've played Soul Calibur and don't really think it's any better or worse than Tekken. It's slower and has ring-outs, two strikes in my book. Also pressing a button to block doesn't sit well with me but I think I could get used to it. When you get into the higher levels of Tekken each match becomes like a chess game (the same could be said for SC). The action is more intense in Tekken IMO though. I think both games are equally deep. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :rolleyes:

I guess to put it bluntly I think Tekken is the best fighting series ever. 2D fighters like Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom get old and feel superficial after awhile. Virtua Fighter is deeper but the characters move like molasses. Mortal Kombat has always felt slow and choppy to me. Dead or Alive is really the only series I can't comment on.

One last closing comment. Tekken 4 was admittedly by most a major hiccup in the series. But Tekken 5 looks AMAZING. Check it out at tekkenzaibatsu.com

PS. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

11. I agree with MK...I've never liked it, even during its major heyday when it was only an arcade game (anyone remember Mortal Monday?). It feels too...blocky. VF rocks.

Tekken is cool. I can beat Tag with one quarter at my school's arcade. I'm so friggin cheap with Eddy and Jack-2 :D Still a bigger SC fan.

12. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

My Nina/Bryan team would own you :D .

13. I give Fable a solid - OK.

I personally didn't have high hopes for the game, but my friend did, so I bought it the day it came out with him on his suggestion. I haven't been playing too much because of school, work, and bowling; but all I can say is that though the grafics and the fighting system are pretty good, the story line is really lacking.

It also doesn't make sense that I am like 60 (I accedently left the game on for like 2 hours) and the NPCs are still just as old as they ever were.

Also the game is VERY exploitable. I won't say exactly what you can do, as some people enjoy games better when they are ignorant to the cheats, but I will say that it is obvious. If anyone really wants to know, you can PM me.

I really hope that they add more content and take out the exploit in a Xbox Live patch.

14. Didn't read earlier posts-don't know if I have time :smug:

I haven't gotten through it yet (my friend has), but it was the reason I got an xbox, it is way too short. and it doesn't seem that the game is different for good or evil people, just some quests and how you look and are treated. Not like you are the villan. Oh well :(

15. Exactly. KOTOR does the good/evil thing ALOT better.

(pst...the REAL reason to get Xbox is Halo)

16. this post is about tekken vs soul calibur

as someone who played tekken 2 and then 3 religiously i will say that its by far my favorite fighting game of all time. simply amazing gameplay and all that good stuff.

i also own soul calibur 2 (had sc1 on my dreamcast as well) and can also say its a great game, but lacksthe debth of tekken IMO. i suck at tekken and if i tried to play now id get pwned, whereas SC is much more of a pickup and play button masher, which is fun but a negative imo for a fighter. thats all.

oh what i wouldnt give for some good ole tekken volleyball right now :p

17. Hence why the GC version outsold both the XBox and PS2 versions COMBINED...

Link is BY FAR the best exclusive character.

18. As to the Tekken Vs. Soul Calibur 2.

Let me say this; while both games are made by Namco, Tekken's graphics have always been way behind the curve. T4's graphics are not even close to DOA3 on XBox. Come on, they came the same time, you think they'd be close. Also, Tekken has never been on any other console other than PS2, yet no exclusivity contract has been made. NO OTHER CONSOLE EVEN WANTS TEKKEN!

When the developers of Tekken were asked to critique other current fighting games (DOA3, Virtua Fighter, Mortal Kombat) the developers said "These games have good graphics, nothing more." What this leads the developers of the other games to believe is that their games have fewer flaws.

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    As the original poster, I can confirm that this is not correct. These are pure fighting simulations. Fable is a new RPG for XBOX that has little to nothing to do with them. Why did they even come up at all?

20. Is Fable strictly an XBOX game, or is it out on all consoles?

If not, then I can always go back to this. :smug: