1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fake SD Quarter Pounders?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Amroth, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Amroth

Amroth

Oct 20, 2013
    Hey all :)

This is my first post but I've been lurking ever since I have this baby on the way!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vintage_mod_jazz_v_owt.htm

I'm a guitar player but wanted a bass to record with, so I got a squier affinity 5 j-bass but returned it when I saw I could pay a little more and grab a VM.

ANYWAY here is my problem. I grabbed a set of QPs from an open box seller... this is the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400558570214?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and this is what I got:

IMG_00000354_zps401e60cb.

IMG_00000355_zps63576f33.

Definitely is not the standard "basslines" box and not the standard logo. If it's just an older design I don't mind... as long as it's original.

Thanks in advance!

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    If I'm not mistaken, SD announced that from now on all their products will be branded SD and there will be no more "Basslines" branding.

3. Amroth

Amroth

Oct 20, 2013
    Marcury, thanks for bringing that to my attention. If that was in July they should have updated their online product images to reflect that!

Anyway that's good news, I did like that basslines logo but it's no biggie :)

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I don't know if the 5 strings are different, but the pole pieces on the 4 string pickups sit below the level of the cover, not flush with the top of it.

5. Yup, Just bought a brand new QP SPB-3 last week. Had the "Seymour Duncan" logo not the Basslines one. Had to take a second look myself.

6. Amroth

Amroth

Oct 20, 2013
    Cool hamfist, that settles it then. Hopkins, I'll check it out. Probably just a manufacturing variation... anyway I'll drop them in tomorrow and see how they sound :)

7. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Jan 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Yup, that looks like a good set. Yes, we are changing over to all SD logoz and letting the old "Bassline" go away. The magnet is easier to mount flush on the jazz than on the P's.
    Hope you like.

LoveThatBass likes this.