Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Family Pics--Finally

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Aug 26, 2005.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Since I have never really gotten around to posting pics of my current line up, I figured it was about time. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, I haven't used my digital camera in ages, so I am basically relearning how to take decent pics with it.

Following are pics of my F Bass BN6, Peavey T-40, and Modulus Quantum 6.

2. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    And a couple more:

3. Hey man, just curious, whats you opinion of the slap sound on your modulus?? I also have a Modulus Q6, but it has a sweet spot pickup with the turbo option. Basically its one pickup right at the bridge and one right in front of that. The fingerstyle sound on it is AMAZING but I cant seem to get a great slap sound out of it.

Just curious about your opinion..

4. Nice collection. My first bassteacher had a T-40 in natural finish. Awesome bass.

Great Q6 too. Can't wait to get my OB6!

5. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think that the slap sound I get out of mine is great--it has the Bart pups and 3 band 18v pre.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool, keep rockin :bassist:

7. hmm ok.. I have the same electronics setup.. I was pretty sure its because of my pickup config, but I wasnt sure. I'm not going to get rid of the bass but need to start shopping around for a good "slap" bass..

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've got a suggestion for you. You may want to try a different preamp in your bass. I'm quite positive that this would solve your problem. I saw Kai Eckhardt play a sweetspot turbo once and his slap sound was incredible. He had EMG pickups with a Demeter onboard preamp. I prefer Bartolini's to EMG's because they're much warmer though. I've found that the Bart pickups with a Bart pre is a very compressed sound that doesn't work for some people (me included). A Demeter, Aguilar 3 band or an EMG preamp would work great for you with the Barts. Any one of those pre's would give you a clearer, cleaner sound that would be extremely helpful in getting a better slap sound, not to mention a better sound all around for what you're looking for. My favorite pairing is the Demeter preamp with Bartolini pickups but that's me.

Ryan, I don't normally care for quilted tops but the top on your Modulus is sick! Great bass man.............now you just need a Roscoe...... :D

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    wow, great fam! the Modulus and the F are to die for, literally. I call dibs if EVER you want to sell.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Love that F! That T-40 probably weighs as much as the two sixers :)

11. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    different strings can make ALL the difference, you know...
    try some different brands, and some lighter gauges.
    seems way more reasonable than ploppinw down hundreds,
    or even thousands *gulp* of dollars on a new bass/preamp.

total:
    $0.02

12. Ive had the bass since 1996 so I've had a chance to try many different strings.. Its a great bass and I would never get rid of it.. I think its just my ear.. I like to hear that punch from the neck pickup when slapping. I had considered installing a 3rd pickup but, asthetically, it would be quite ugly.

Anyway.. Thanks for the suggestions guys..

13. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Man! I had a Peavey just like yours many many many years ago! I don't remember the sound, but I do remember it weighed a ton, which is why I got rid of it (think I got a RIC after that). I gotta say those Peavey were built like tanks!

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Quantums sound very different than other basses when slapped. Personally, I'm not real fond of it, its kinda clacky I think due to the sheer hardness of the neck. I can get it dialed in with a big cut in the high mids, but I always prefer the Sadowsky or Zon I have for slapping. I absolutely love the Quantum fingerstyle sound.

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The F, of course, is the lightest of the three. The T-40 is the heaviest by a long shot. It doesn't really get much play time, but it is kind of cool to have around, especially since it is in the condition that it is in.

16. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks. I had considered selling the Modulus awhile back, but I really think I would regret it in the end. Like others have said in this thread, the fingerstyle tone is to die for on it. And the F Bass is probably going to be with me to the end of my days. I am considering sending it to George F. to get a complete refinish (it has a couple of minor dings and some playing wear here and there), but I don't think I can be without it for the 6-8 weeks involved in getting it done.

And if I told you what I paid for the F Bass, you would probably really hate me. ;) I also got a great deal on the Q6 from fellow TBer Jammadave.

But, if something happens to change my mind about selling one, I will keep you in mind. :)

17. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks. The top on it really looks better in person than in these pics.

And yes, a Roscoe is definitely needed. Hopefully I can get the ball rolling on that in the next couple of weeks.