1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

famous riff i can't remember the name of

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ishalleatyou, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ishalleatyou

ishalleatyou

Sep 7, 2007
    g-----------------------3--------------------------------------------------------------3-----
    d-----------5----3--5------5--3--5--5-------------------------3------------3--5----5--------
    a------------------------------------------3--5-------5--3--5-----5--3--5 -------------------
    e---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you need to play it with a sort of fast 60s groove
    youl regognise it if you play it right :)
    its just i cant show you because i have no recording equipment
    im fairly new to tab writing so that just confused me so i may have to wrong but thats a rough guide :)
    its got the right notes but probs not the right rythm so try follow it best you can

i also cant think of te name of any programs or anything but i imagine it being played over some person talking about the 60s

i might have the total wrong era but thats what it reminds me of

thats all i can remember

:) please help its bugging me

2. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Any other tips on the rhythm of it? Those are pretty strong, common notes. There's a million different ways that can sound good.

3. EarlSandwich

EarlSandwich

Nov 13, 2007
    Are you thinking of Little Green Bag by George Baker? It was in the Reservoir Dogs intro.

4. That's the song that Trident Splash Gum is using for their commercials, as well it was in an episode of Simpsons...I think the one where Bart becomes a Jazz drummer.

Sorry, don't know the name...but this info may help another help you.

5. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Much more importantly, this thread right here demonstrates number one reason why TAB is useless. No one can play it and tell you what it is without a recording. This is like the story of the blind men and the elephant.

Maybe if it was written out in some standard notation we would know what the riff is from.

6. ishalleatyou

ishalleatyou

Sep 7, 2007
    how do i show standard notation on a computer
    :confused:

7. You could write it on a piece of paper and scan it. And just regarding what onlyclave said on the uselessness of tab, I have to admit I started out using tabs, and finally got around to learning standard notation later. Sheet music can be a bit daunting if you're just starting out and you want to learn the bass line to detroit rock city, and Tabs give beginners an easy way to start playing the songs they actually want to play right away.

8. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    George Baker Selection - "Little Green Bag"

What did I win! ;)

9. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    Here is the notation and tab:

Attached Files:

10. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    But with the tab you still need a recording of Detroit Rock City to know what you're playing. Notation tells me everything I need to know.

As long as you're learning bass why not put a little more effort in a learn to read music? It's really not that difficult.

11. ishalleatyou

ishalleatyou

Sep 7, 2007

was that question directed at me? lol
    coz its just i can read music its just i could work out how to get notation in because im crap at computer stuff and we dont have a scanner :)

12. I'm listening to that song on my iPod right now. The notes look right.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My first thought as well. TAB needs to go away. If yo are going to learn an instrument, learn to read music as well. It will only help you in the short and long run.