1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fancy Dinner Jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by paperbag1213, Jan 27, 2012.

1. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Feb 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hi guys, I got a gig to play at a fancy dinner kind
    of thing. I need about 6 tunes. What would you
    guys suggest? That cliche kind of mellow jazz is
    what I'm thinking of, I just don't really know any
    of that.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I don't mean to be a wiseass, but...why did you take this gig, then? We could give you a tune list, but...what am I missing?

The reality is that there are hundreds of songs, maybe thousands that could apply. If we argued about our 6 favorites, we might narrow it down to 50 (because we like to argue). But, since you don't know any of them, I don't know how that helps you. Then there's the matter of, it's not the songs that make it jazz (or mellow or dinner appropriate) it's the ability for a group to make that kind of music.

I'm not judging, you seem to be telling us that you don't know how. How much time do you have to prepare, who's going to be on this gig with you and what does it pay?

Again, sorry I'm not trying to be difficult, maybe I'm missing some important piece of information, but it seems like you've set yourself up to fail here and potentially drag some other musicians down with you.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hmmm... well, let'$ ju$t think about thi$ for a $econd..... :D

4. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I realize that there is a shortage of qualified jazz musicians in LA for this type of a job.

(Okay, so now I'm being a smart ass, but I wasn't before)

5. Yeah, not too many guys qualified to take that kind of a gig in L.A. Only about 10,000. But hey, if you're not a jazzer and you don't know any of the tunes or anything about the idiom, what's stopping you?

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    OP's in high school band, getting set for college. Just getting it together, and trying to play music from the old days. Been there... I was lucky, I was gigging with my Dad at fifteen.

7. Biggus, my bad, I didn't check the OP's profile. Based solely on what was posted and having lived & worked in L.A. for quite a few years, it seemed pretty clueless. :cool:

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Biggus - you were working with your dad. I don't know about most other folks, but my first jazz/standards gigs weren't organized by me and I sure didn't establish teh repertoire for them ('need about 6 tunes to play'), I got hired by crusty old mofos whose regular bassists were busy and got rays, yells, and assorted lectures about what I was doing wrong. And LEARNED from it.
    What I DIDN'T do was throw together a bunch of similarly clueless buds and say "Sure I can handle the gig." and then try to get somebody to tell me what tunes I should read during the gig.
    If he wants to really do the gig, hire some cats to get him through it (even if that's out of his own pocket) and make it a learning experience.
    Or not, it's just gonna be one less on the train.

9. Ed, this pretty much describes how I came up. I'm pretty sure many of us who do this for a living came up this way.

T

10. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I checked his profile before I replied and again just now. It doesn't say that, Marcus must have some inside info. I felt that there was some missing information and that does fill in a blank for me.

But, Ed's right, taking a gig like this before you're ready is one thing. Leading a gig like this when you don't have an understanding of the music...I don't know how to be helpful.

His profile lists Paul Chambers and Dave Holland as influences, so maybe he knows more than he says, but it just comes back to making me confused about the question. If this is a social thing, an uncle asked him if he wanted to do it at his birthday party or something, then, maybe it's a good challenge. Buy 1 or 2 Jamie Aebersolds of the "standards" variety and download some associated reference recordings, get your friends together and work your asses off. If it's something else, you need more help than we can provide by listing 6 tunes for you.

A teacher would be really helpful about now as well...

11. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Feb 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hi guys, yes I'm a high schooler going into college from LA. I'm still working on my rep, currently working out rhythm changes. Anyway the performance is for some faculty breakfast at a fancy restaurant and they wanted one of the high school's jazz combos to play background music. I ended up choosing, Misty, Girl from Ipanema, In a Sentimental Mood, My favorite things, I remember clifford.

12. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's gonna be a cool thing. Good luck. Those are good songs.

13. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, good choices. Let us know how it goes.

14. Have a great gig. Those tunes will work fine. BTW, if this had been your original post, you would have got nothing but love from the majority here. Some of us didn't get that you are just starting out. Many in this community tend to want to know who we're talking to and there are a more than a few crusty old dudes (including myself), that still think it's important to pay a few dues.

All The Best on your musical journey.

Trey :cool:

15. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    What Trey said. Good luck and have fun.

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I just read some of his other threads. Pretty simple.

17. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yep, crusty old dude here. Just didn't know where you were coming from. This is a good opportunity for you, make the most of it and report back.