1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite bassists.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by anthowl, Feb 28, 2008.

1. what bassist, and what album blows your mind everytime you listen to it?

even though the band itself is emo and somewhat annoying, the bass on The Used's In Love and Death realy is amazing.
    Jeph Howard's bass lines are punchy, well played and subtle, on this cd in particular.

interestingly though, there is nothing on the web anywhere about him playing bass aside from photos, it seems nobody else with the internet has heard how amazing this cd's bass is.

so what album and bassist makes your mind boggle?

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    OM's discography will always leave me bedazzled.

And Tool's records always leave me envious.

And Pink Floyd are always great for a listen.

Dude, I could go on forever.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Any of the first 3 Grand Funk Railroad albums. Every bass player should give those a listen.

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Marcus Miller's "The Sun Don't Lie"
    Infectious Grooves "The Plague That Makes Your Body Moove"
    Level 42 "Greatest Hits"

5. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    mr bungle - (untitled first album). Trevor Dunn is amazing. this first album is awesome in so many ways. the other two bungle albums? equally impressive.

led zeppelin - I-IV (especially II). John Paul Jones... [​IMG]

+many others, but those are always the first that come to mind when someone asks that question.

6. yeah, infectious grooves has great bass!

7. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

Feb 23, 2008
    Indiana 812
    fireHOSE - Ragin', Full On -Mike Watt
    Minutemen - Double Nickles On The Dime - Mike Watt
    The Smiths - Meat is Murder - Andy Rourke
    Green Day - Dookie - Mike Dirnt

8. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    Anything from James Jamerson.

Ray Shulman from Gentle Giant, all his work is amazing. While on prog, I should mention Chris Squire and Mike Rutherford (esp. bass on Spot the Pigeon).

Mark Andes, from Spirit to Heart to Austin, TX.

Jack Casady - Bless his pointed little head.

John Glascock from Carmen - Fandangoes in Space. Plus his work with Tull.

Joe Bouchard - the first three BOC albums still floor me.

Jaco Pastorius - has to be included.

Glenn Worf with Mark Knopfler - Sailing To Philadelphia has some great work.

9. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    What blows my mind is looking at McCartney's lines in the Beatles stuff. Some are dead simple, some are pretty darn complex... but the are always RIGHT... You never say "man, he shoulda done more there" or "geez, he was over doing it..."

And anything Geddy plays makes me go nuts... (see em in June)

10. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    James Jamerson on anything he played on

Jack Casady on Burgers

Jamaaladeen Tacuma on Body Meta

John Wetton on Red

Steve Swallow on The Hapless Child

Too many more to mention

11. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Colin Hodgkinson w/ Back Door

Percy Jones w/ Brand X, Eno (Another Green World, Before and After Science) and Tunnels, another very original fretless player.

Jack Bruce

Michael Manring - Another guy who found a very original voice on fretless

Janick Top and Bernard Paganotti from Magma, feel the roar!

Steve Swallow - AMAZING jazz composer as well as improviser, totally original.

Jaco - what more need be said?

Jimmy Johnson - Mr Melodic Himself!

John Patitucci - Brilliant and versatile

Anthony Jackson - 6 strings of understated deep-rooted genius!

James Jamerson

Jerry Jemmont

Louis Johnson - A totally original slapping style

Vic Wooten - Another original that took slapping to new level

Berry Oakley - One of rock's underrated greats!

Stanley Clarke - In his heyday he was leading the way in getting the bass more out front.

Steuart Liebig - A bassist/composer whose work transcends genres altogether.

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Rick Danko - Music from Big Pink
    Jack Bruce - Fresh Cream
    Jack Casady- Pull Up
    Jamerson/Babbit - Standing in the Shadow soundtrack
    Harvey Brooks - Super Session
    Harvey Brooks/ Dave Holland - Bitches Brew
    Harvey Brooks - Highway 61
    Paul McCartney - Let it Be - Naked

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Jonas Hellborg-Elegant Punk: Without a doubt my favourite solo bass record. Jonas displays everything he is known for, his lyrical phrasing, technical facility, and musical genius. The pacing of the album is also beautifully thought out, and it stays engaging as Jonas plays away. The standout track, "Glad to Be Back from Paris" is just ridiculously good.

Bakithi Kumalo-Paul Simon's "Graceland": Bakithi is all over this record, perhaps as vital to it's sound as Paul Simon's voice and lyrics. Bakithi is just amazing on that fretless bass, mixing support with melody and unconventional playing techniques. Just listen to his slap parts in "Diamonds on the Soles of her shoes" or "You can Call me Al". "You can call me Al" is particularly well known due to it probably being the biggest hit song ever to contain a bass solo! The whole album just exudes brilliance, and Bakithi is right there in the middle of it.

Geddy Lee-Hold Your Fire: Geddy was just on top of his game here. Brilliantly melodic lines woven into the best songs Rush have ever written. His tone was also at an all-time high on this record thanks to his Wal basses (which indicentally, also pop up on Jonas Hellborg's Elegant Punk album).

Mark King-Level 42/The Early Tapes: Level 42 at their "semi fusion" best. The instrumental traks demonstrate what Mark King became synonomous with: a fierce slap technique and seriously underrated fingerstyle chops. The songs were brilliant, and Mark's bass tone was raw and powerful, sitting brilliantly with the slighty rough production. Excellent stuff.

14. hairscrambled

hairscrambled Commercial User

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Store owner, Grandma's Music & Sound
    There are lots of greats. But as far a favorites on electric -James Jamerson and on upright - Paul Chambers.

15. Mike Mesaros from the Smithereens.

16. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    Anything Joe Osborn did.

Particularly Simon & Garfunkel, "America." The licks in the chorus are incredible. And the things he does in a song with a typical descending bass line are amazing.