1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Contemporary Pop/Jazz Tunes

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Quinn Roberts, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Thought this would be a fun thread idea and possibly give me some inspiration to learn some new tunes.
    I was wondering what all popular music tunes people like playing on their uprights; I've found the heads to "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" (Jeff Beck version) and "Feels So Good" (Mangione) to not only fit well on the bass, but to sound pretty decent when you get them worked up to speed.

What all tunes do you guys like to mess around with?

2. I was hoping this thread might take off a little bit; out of desperation and sheer boredom I'll post just a couple more tunes in the hopes that it may.

Pat Metheny - James (This one has some rather decent backing tracks on YT surprisingly)

I've recently been working on the Lloyd Goldstein version of "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers also; his arrangement is beyond fun albeit rather challenging at points.

JRA and Josh Willner like this.
  3. Evert

Evert

Oct 7, 2017
    Brussels, Belgium
    how about Car Wash according to Christian McBride :

JRA, Quinn Roberts and marcox like this.
  4. I love his take on that tune; in my opinion, that whole live album is a must listen for any bass player!

5. For the sake of the season here's a couple other tunes I've been messing with recently. (Thanks in part to the Aebersold and Hal Leonard play along series)

God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman (Actually am finding some bass takes on these tune! I hadn't thought to look prior)

Greensleeves

Dino - Marshmallow World (Not a bass, but c'mon, you can't beat Dean Martin)

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021