favourite ray brown album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by alialibass, Jul 31, 2013.

1. alialibass

alialibass

Apr 15, 2013
    bandleader or not! if you were to choose just one album, which one would it be?

2. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    IMHO, for me that's kind of like asking what my favorite bass player is.. tough to narrow things down because of just how great Ray is/was. But one of my favorites that comes to mind right away has to be Sonny Rollins' "Way Out West" (I love Sonny's playing as too, and it doesn't hurt that the great Shelly Manne is on drums). Oh, and there's this other Milt Jackson (quintet, I think?) live album from sometime in the 60's where they feature Ray with a solo rubato embellishment on "Tenderly" and yeah, that one's pretty great too.

Edit - The album I'm thinking of is "The Milton Quintet featuring Ray Brown: That's The Way It Is!", Impulse AS-9189.

3. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010

4. can't pick just one, but if I had to "West Side Story" by the Oscar Peterson Trio would be up there. Ray's inventiveness on that album is nothing short of amazing. He really makes that album, IMO, with all due respect to Oscar and (I think) Ed Thigpen.

5. BassinCT

BassinCT

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Any of the trio recordings with Benny Green & Jeff Hamilton. Bassface and Don't Get Sassy are not groundbreaking or high-flying displays of technique, but they simply have a great feel.

The Oscar Peterson recordings are absolutely nuts! (in a good way)

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Don't get Sassy gets my vote.

Soular Energy, Live at Starbucks, and the one with Monty Alexander & Russell Malone are not far behind.

7. "Way out West", the duo with Duke and Oscar Peterson and Basses. He always sounds, good, though!

8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I really like the box set I bought with Seven Steps to Heaven, Bass Face and LIve at Scullers.

3 awesome records.

I really like Night Train with Oscar Peterson since it's the record that made me discover Mr. Brown. Way out West is also a classic.

9. Night train is great. The OP albums are all pretty solid - no matter who plays bass!

10. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Actually, there's a really amazing duo album of Ray Brown and Jimmy Rowles that is just outstanding playing all around. It's called "As Good As It Gets", on Concord Records.

11. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Night train or superbass vol. 2.
    Both are on my iPod all the time!

12. John Wiitala

John Wiitala

Nov 11, 2010
    Blossom Dearie, "Sings Comden and Green" or Art Farmer "On the Road."

13. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio

14. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    We Get Requests by the Oscar Peterson Trio. The bass is very well recorded on this one.

15. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Night Train and Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio

16. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    I transcribed that one but can't play it up to speed on the double time parts...I've heard that with guts it's easier to play faster, but man the stuff he plays there is amazing, just to think he came up with such a solo in the spot!

17. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
  18. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That's the album that Ray said he liked the sound of his bass the best. Recorded in a tent in Stratford, Ontario with the mic on a short stand out on the stage floor, apparently! ;)

19. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I like the duo w/Jimmy Rowles!

Steve Boisen likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021