1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favourite recorded bass tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cnltb, Jan 25, 2008.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    This might in fact be well placed in the recording section, I just notice...But anyways

I'm interested to see what are some of our favourite bass tones on record, or even the best sounding recordings in general.
    Also what it is that makes the tone so appealing, what do we like about the tone we nominate?

It should go without saying that anyone can only speak ones own mind...

A current favourite of mine is Donald Fagen " Morph the cat".
    I like the "openness of the bass tone and the general depth of the soundscape on this record.

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    lately i listen to 'swing on' from the bonin' in the boneyard single by fishbone over and over again...bounce the ball against the wall, watch the ball bounce back...

3. Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime, RATM's Evil Empire, and DFA 1979's You're a Woman, I'm a Machine.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Geddy Lee's Wal tone on "Hold Your Fire" has to be my favourite fretted tone and and Bakithi Kumalo produced my favourite fretless tone on Paul Simon's "Graceland".

5. Misterpogo

Misterpogo

Sep 8, 2005
    Word:bassist:

6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    All of the first Audioslave album, the intro to "The God That Failed" by Metallica, old Sabbath, U2... the new Ozzy album (Black Rain) has some cool tones compliments of Blasko.

JR

7. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Roundabout Chris Squire

Prison Sex Paul D'Amour

Both Rics!!

8. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Crush - Dave Matthews Band

Nathans tone is awesome, but its not just the bass tone, this cd is quite possibly the best recorded session ever. Everything is crisp, clean, transparent. If you ever get to listen to this on a GOOD stereo system with proper staging you can close your eyes and hear where everyone is on stage.

It gets no better than this recording. With all the instruments in that mix and not a single one drowned out. Its pure bliss for an audiophile.

9. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    David Wm. Sims from the Jesus Lizard on the album "Liar".

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Felix Papparlardi with Mountain
    Peter Cruickshank on Hogwash by The Groundhogs. Very wicked
    Martin Turner on New England

just a few off the top of my head.

11. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    one of my favorites off the top of my head

Peter Gabriel - Sledge Hammer. Tony Levin on bass i believe.

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Eddie sounded great on that record!

13. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Tony Levin - Places to Go- off his RESONATOR solo release.

Paul Simonon - London Calling - LONDON CALLING

Eddie Jackson - Operation Mind Crime - Just listen to the whole thing (guess there is some Spector bias here on my part!)

Joe Bouchard - Astronomy - Live Version from Some Enchanted Evening (Blue Oyster Cult)

14. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    This sounds pretty darn good. Fun song to play too.

15. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I love Pino Palladino's tone on the John Mayer Trio live cd "Try!". It's a live recording, but it sure sounds amazing.

16. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    x2 great CD.. good playing all around.

17. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Dance On A Volcano - Genesis

Mike Rutherford's bass on this is so strong and punchy it will kick you in the face.. :) And talk about time changes :)

18. hansahol

hansahol

Jul 7, 2005
    Billy Sheehan on David Lee Roth's Sckyscraper album.Nice presence in the mix

Hans Å

19. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have to agree that I love the tone on Rage's Evil Empire, but my all time favorite recorded bass tone has to be Flea's Wal tone on Blood Sugar Sex Magic. It's so warm and yet so punchy and aggressive. (sigh) One day.... :)

20. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    I love the bass tone heard on George Michael's song entitled Freedom '90..Very tasty, and I heard Georgie played the bass himself! Another one of my all-time favorite bass tones is on Aquarius from the Hair movie soundtrack! I'm still trying to find out who recorded that..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021