Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FB/Neck Thickness

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Michelle Fiore, Jul 20, 2005.

1. I would like to hear some other DB luthier's opinions/experience with what the total thickness of the neck & FB should be - I understand there will be a range of an acceptable measurement, as this total thickness varies quite a bit in the bass world. Also, some FB blanks seem very thick and there must be an optimim maximum thickness for the FB itself.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IMO, not related to structural issues but moreso playability, the thickness is defined by its relationship with the width of the neck/fb.

I have played basses with both thick and wide necks that were uncomfortable as well as some that were both thin and and narrow that were uncomfortable. (Kay/Engelhardt comes to mind)

If the neck is wider at the nut, I think neck needs to be thinner to play well. If narrower at the nut, it should be thicker. It is as if there has to be the right amount of wood in your hand.

3. Hi Ken
    I do remember talking to you a while back.
    Along with some of the basses here, the measurements you took gives me a good idea of an appropriate range of thicknesses. Thanks for taking the time to do it!
    Talk to you again....:O

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    First position- 40mm, Heel- 45mm. This is just a middle ground, some are thinner, some thicker. Keeping a 4-5 mm difference between positions is nice, though.

5. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I like not more than 10mm thickness on the sides of the fingerboard and 40-42mm width at the nut. 40mm might be not enough for some, 42 is pretty standard. More than that and they feel too big. I can't remember off hand the neck thickness, I'm sure Nick's figures are good, and the sum of the two would be the most important. I don't think I've ever had anyone complain that a neck was too small, although obviously you could make it so small it would be disagreeable and unstable.