Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fbass and Bossa

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassconbeatz, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I just tried out a Fbass BN6 yesterday, and it was awesome. I use to have a Bossa that was very similar. It had the three piece neck, and wood cover on the pick-ups. I know that Bossa is Japanese, and are alot less money. I think George should contract with Bossa to build lines ala Skyline or Metros, so that semi pros and beginners can get their hands on an low cost Fbass. What do you guys think?

Bassconbeatz

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    YES!

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    NO!!!!!!

the last thing this world needs is low cost F-Bass, Ritters, Drozds, Rics, etc.

Just say no to cashing in on the name brand.

4. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    an OB5 from Bossa costs about 2400 $ without no option . it's not really "low cost basses" if you add an exotic top, exotic wood for fingerboard, it can goes up than 3000 $ :smug:

http://www.bossa-usa.com/

I had one from a trade and i should receive it later today, can't wait to play it ! :hyper:

5. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA

Bossa's quality is one of the best in the industry. The one I had was the OBJ, and it had really straight neck, and a super low action. I'm sure you will enjoy it too.

Bassconbeatz

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I totally agree. We need less corporate cool now a days and more ethical dedicated luithers.

7. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    While I still stand by my original post, I feel it's a little out of context now. I wasn't familiar with Bossa, but it looks like they are nothing like an Essex or OLP type company making cheap knock-offs of a unique shape. I actually doubt they would be interested in the topic originally posted.

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Funny, I don't look at it that way. I look at it as a way for those with less money to spend to get a leg up on some serious quality. I mean, really, what's the harm? I don't think ANYBODY is stupid enough to think having a low cost line will compromise the quality of the primary line. At least I'm not.

Look at the Lakland Skylines. I personally consider that to be a successful venture. If it weren't for those, I simply wouldn't have a Lakland at all. Who would've won that one? Nobody.

IMHO, of course.

EDIT: Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about a low end line controlled by the same company... not a "knock off" made by someone else like a "licensed product". Otherwise, IMHO, it isn't a product from that company, and not worthy of the name. If this is what the objectors were getting at, I totally agree.

9. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    I received mine ! Great bass for sure, incredible slap tone, powerful preamp !

The bridge allows to set the string's action very low without any buzz.

compared to my others (high end) basses this 0b5 is not ridiculous at all .

some stuff could be better like "plastics low quality" knobs and the jack input, cheap for a +2000$ instrument.

10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i live in hamilton, and visit F bass often..

from the looks of all the expensive basses hanging on the walls onorder for customers, i dont think he would even have time to make lower end basses.. because they wouldn't be F basses anymore.

he has the finest of wood workers working for him, and he ships multi-thousand dollar instruments all over the world, i dont think he ever has down time. they are always building.

imo, i dont think it would even be worth his while

to be apart of the F bass family is great.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal

I think it's a great idea as well as long as the basses don't flood the market and devalue his "higher end" line. I think that ever since the Skylines were released, the USA models took a bit of a hit because the Skylines were that good. If it was done in the same fashion that Roger Sadowsky is doing, I can't see how this would be a bad thing. Seems like a win/win for all parties the way I see it.

12. Yes, and by knowing GF a little bit, I think he don't want to "kill" the image of his basses with that idea....
    Because his brand his an entire life of work, so he don't want to break his world...

Look what Jaguar did with their cars...now that's a pitty!

Vince

13. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, I guess we just see things a bit diferently, I've never been all that interested in Laklands and never really considered them in the same league as F's, I kind of feel the same way about Conklins, while the many custom shop owners all rave about their basses, I'm sure they are sick of answering the "Is that a Groove Tools?" questons. To me the Skylines devalued the Lakland brand in my mind (this was before I joined TB, so I really didn't know the difference) and I don't see the advantage of doing that to other brands like F, Fodera, Alembic, etc. There are enough decent (or less than) basses with big names on them made by these other companies, we don't need to give them another.

Just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect or anything Vics (Not sure if you recognize me or not, but we've been in several of the Cirrus Discussions together and we seemed to see pretty eye to eye on those...).

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Ehhh, I personally don't think so... see below...

Well, maybe this might be why you feel the way you do, maybe not, but just in case, the diffs are all purely high end luthier type stuff that makes it a much higher quality piece of work, but not really that much better of an instrument from a functionality perspective.

As such, the markets for the USA line and the Skyline don't really intersect, IMHO, so I don't see one threatening the other at all. In fact, again, I'm the perfect example. In my case, it was a Skyline or no Lakland. I'm very happy the Skylines are there! Also, I may "upgrade" to a USA model someday, but in the mean time, I'm still enjoying the majority of that classic Lakland playability, sound, and look. On the flip side, if I was really looking for the "real deal" and had that kind of coin to drop on it, I'd never even consider the Skyline, so again, one line doesn't threaten the other.

In both cases, you DO get what you pay for... it just depends on what you're willing to pay for exactly what... as always.

Since I consider them to be more introductory to a given brand/model, as opposed to a market blurring alternative, I do view the presence of this kind of product line to be advantageous.

NO PROBLEM! Hey, my opinion is just like anyone else's... an opinion, and as long as somebody doesn't flame me for it, I'm very cool with diffs of opinion, and don't take them as slams. If we all had the same viewpoint, TB would be too boring to continue.

15. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I found this old thread, and since I just picked up my second Bossa, why not revive it. This is a super rare spalt maple top killer. I've been kicking myself for selling my first one, and I got lucky and picked this one up. The preamp is pretty cool, especially with the coil switch, in which you can pan between the two HB's in the down position, or between the inner coils or outer coils in the up position (The sounds you get in this position emulates either a P-bass or Stingray). The quality is top notch. I consider Japanese hand made basses as super boutiques just like the USA and euro built ones. If anybody has a chance of picking one of these up, don't hesitate, because they will blow your socks off. Check my profile, I've owned pretty much every bass boutique basses available, so I think I know what I'm talking about. IMHO Bossa gives them a run for the money. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]