1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FEELER - Rickenbacker 4001c64s

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by agorilla, Dec 12, 2020.

1. agorilla

agorilla Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    This is a feeler thread for a Rickenbacker 4001c64s in matte black!

It’s a magnificent instrument with everything you’d want in a Rick. Comfortable neck, excellent vintage tones, and it records especially well. I’ve had it for about 10 years now.

But… I’ve had a string of weirdly bad luck with the bridge area. While swapping out the stock bridge for a Hipshot, a screw snapped off. I made my best attempt to drill it out, but quickly learned that I do not have the right skills and equipment for the task. :(

Then later, during a particularly strong Geddy Lee kick, I attempted to install a Badass bridge, and that didn’t go well either. This time TWO screws snapped off, and so I gave up on that idea. Like I said, weirdly bad luck. :banghead: There’s nothing visibly wrong, and it doesn’t affect the original bridge, but I still felt like it would be worth mentioning.

Currently, it has the stock bridge which has been held snugly in place for many years by 4 out of 5 screws. Tail lift is minimal and well within normal range for one of these instruments.

Cosmetically, the bass is in decent shape. The matte finish can be a little sensitive, and I did my best to photograph any scratches or wear. There’s some slight fret wear on the zero fret, but the rest of them are in great shape.

So yeah, it’s got some flaws. I don’t mean to dwell on them, because it’s a fine bass with plenty of life, but I want folks to know they’re there.

Currently set up with Schaler style strap locks.

Weighs in at 9.8lbs.

I’m listing this as a feeler because prices seem to be all over the place with these, and I’m not sure how the flaws affect the value. I haven’t played it for a while, and I’m curious to see if anyone might be interested in it. It could be a good chance to get a good price on an amazing bass!!

I’m starting out with asking $2350 shipped, but I’m definitely open to discussing the price further. Sale includes a Ric hardshell case.

Paypal and CONUS only, please! Not interested in trades.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    ghettoshelf likes this.
  2. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Never seen one with the matte finish, looks nice! The marks on the zero fret are normal and have some like that on my Hofner and believe was told there needs to be some as light string guides. A pro can remove the snapped screws and reset the bridge which might not cost much yet add value though I'm not the price expert.

3. agorilla

Mar 26, 2010
    Ah, interesting! I didn't know that - thanks for the info.

Would you happen to have any recommendations for a pro who can do that? So far I haven't been able to find anyone near me who is reputable and willing to take the job.

4. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Depends where you live in Pennsylvania. I know Pittsburgh Guitars has good quality instruments and they might know someone. Jim Rhoads Music in Manheim, Pa does some work and would know of others and I actually bought a Rickenbacker C64S from him when they first came out. Word of mouth goes a long way and perhaps other musicians near you who've had a positive experience somewhere could weigh in. Would avoid Guitar Center although a few of the Sam Ash stores actually have good people. Again, you'd have to do some checking. There's also a luthiers group here on Talkbass that might be of help. I'm no expert, but I would think a C64S in good shape to be in the 3k range as that's where prices for the V63's seem to start at the moment.

5. agorilla

Mar 26, 2010
    I'm in Pittsburgh, so I may end up checking in with Pittsburgh Guitars. Thanks!

mikecd1 likes this.
  6. Payment sent!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021