1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Felix Pastorius books?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by project_c, Jun 15, 2019.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Has anyone read any of the books by Felix Pastorius? All 3 look intriguing, but there's barely anything about them online apart from very general descriptions. Might grab one out of curiosity anyway but it would be good to get a bit of info about them.

[​IMG]

2. Go for it. I can imagine they are written from an entirely different point of view... Let us know how they are.

project_c and GastonD like this.
  3. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    First one is on its way, probably the most straightforward of the 3 but it should be fun anyway. Will report back in a few days.

knirirr and GastonD like this.
  4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    So what is the book like?

5. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Sorry for the delay, I wanted to spend a few days with it to get a feel for it. I got the Hot Dog Dinners book, which is the first of the 3 books. So far I like it, and despite the minimal approach, there is much more depth to it than I was expecting, which is a good thing. Here are some thoughts:

There is virtually no text in the book, apart from a few choice words of wisdom it's all music. The actual content is stuff you might already know - variations around major / minor modes and arpeggios, voice leading, chords etc. But the way it's written and arranged is very musical and rhythmically playful in places, which initially makes it a little tough from a reading point of view (for me anyway), but it also makes it much more interesting than just running scales up and down endlessly. If you're a good reader, you will find it fun. I'm not a great reader so I'm finding it tough in certain places, but what I'm discovering is that each little segment works as a starting point, and you can't help but start exploring ideas that stem from it. So by the time you get to the end of page one, you already potentially have a bunch of new ideas for playing through the modes of the major scale, and those ideas involve not just notes, but rhythm and chords as well.

Overall - it's not an instructional book, it's a book for exploration and for triggering ideas for practice. It's great if you know your scales already, and don't need detailed explanations of everything, or if you just want to improve your reading, but for me it seems to be working well as a starting point for ideas, kind of like an antidote for mindlessly running scales up and down.

The only criticism I have is this: I like Felix Pastorius, it would be nice to have some thoughts or insights or just some writing by him. This book is basically him saying "here is all this stuff, I'm saying nothing, go and explore it for yourself". That's fine, and I don't think the contents of the book need an explanation, but I'd just like to read what he has to say about music, or life or whatever. Maybe he thought this book wasn't right place for that, but I think it would fit in there really well.

Other than that, it's great, it's going to keep me busy for a while and I'll most likely buy the others too.

6. Tom Likely

Tom Likely

Thursday
    I would echo all of this...got all three myself and starting with Hot Dog Dinners...could be way off but they seem like an elaborate puzzle and I am obsessed with putting the pieces together. :woot:

project_c likes this.
  7. Tom Likely

Tom Likely

Thursday
    project_c - thanks for the like!

How goes it with the book since you have had a couple of months to check it out?

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I got the book after reading this post. It's a very different approach. Probably not a 'main staple' kind of book, but interesting. More explanation would have been helpful. But that's kind of the charm since it one of the main ideas is to prompt creativity. (YMMV)