Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Felix Pastorius: opinions, comments

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Has this been done to death yet?
    His picture was on the homepage of jambands.com for a while today and got me interested. He was sitting in with Ulu (jazz/funk kind of band). Seems the jamband scene might be starting to embrace him a bit - Wooten and Coffin must have something to do with that. I've read he's already played with the Aquarium Rescue Unit (if you haven't heard them, boy are you missing out), Col. Bruce Hampton, Oteil, Wooten and Jeff Coffin's Mutet. I've also seen pictures of him w/ Vic working on his double thumping. I guess he was playing daddy's stuff by 17 or so. He must be in his early 20's by now? His tone and hands are eerily the same - but he's a slapper! What do you all think?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I haven't heard him.

Jaco's nephew(David?) is on a recent Jaco tribute/Big Band thing & he's happenin'!

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I want to hear this guy.

Any good suggestions for recordings with Felix on?

Russ :bassist:

4. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I think Felix is playing it safe (and SMART) by not getting ahead of himself. He recorded a CD with some sort of fusion group ("Bermuda Triangle"?) but I don't know if it's commercially available. He's on a recording of Little Beaver's "I Can Dig it Baby"(same as Daddy's first studio credit) available on cdbaby.com, and he has some modest mp3s on his homepage.

There's some video of him on the Drummer's Collective 2002 DVD.. I haven't seen it but I've heard the audio and it's top notch. I earnestly look forward to watching his career progress.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I heard and saw him on that Drummers Collective. He had to take the stage after Victor Wooten did now this to me seems like more pressure than being Jaco's son. But any way he was fantastic simultanously being the very similar and yet very different from his Dad. He did some fantastic looping there the back ground loop was slap and then the lead part was more of what his dad would play.

Personjally I hate him just for getting a Fodera for free off Vinnie :bawl: but if you give basses to people on their skill he deserves that fodera and I deserve a shoe box and some elastic bands.

I don't think he will be as big as his father was as the bass world is a different place and you have to do some very wierd things to break the mold. But I do think that he is going to be big. Just need to see how good his compositional skills are and I need to stop comparing him to his dad because 'THERE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE' :D

Hope this helps.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've seen and heard him. He's very good but no where in his dad's league! Just another over the top player added to the million out there already. I also think he's just fulfilling a legacy and is not totally immersed in the music and lifestyle like his dad was! Just my opinion.........

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    No Felix isn't like Jaco,and to be honest with you I don't think that is a bad thing at all however he is a very tight player but with that being said I agree with you he just one added to the millions out there.I say this because our district held a conference for The Full Gospel Baptist Fellowship at my church and it must have been about 30 to 35 bass players that were there and all of them was "off the hook"and most of them were basically no-names except Andrew Gouche

8. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Aquarium Rescue Unit are playing again?!!

BTW, found a great description of Col. Bruce by Oteil: "He's like Sun Ra and an old Delta blues guy trapped in a white, Republican body!"

http://www.jambands.com/Features/content_2004_02_28.07.phtml

Actually a really interesting interview - Oteil talks a little about the ARU and more personal stuff - he was an important player for me at one time.

Oops, off topic... ;)

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I've seen him a couple times and spent almost an hour talking to him at Smith's Olde Bar (here in Atlanta) after one of his gigs with Jeff Coffin's group. Nice kid, kinda quiet... but man he is one tall dude! I would say that he is 24 or 25 right now. I also saw him do a 'cameo' at the Zambiland Orchestra.

He was playing a fretted 70's Jazz Bass on the Smith's Olde Bar gig, I know that he was given a Fodera a while back (that was a little of what we were talking about). He had to borrow a 410 (ampeg) from Victor and he was powering it with a WW head (also on loan at that time from Vic).

On of his regular weekday-evening gigs is at a place called Alligator Alley in Hollywood, FL. The group is called "Way of the Groove"... I actually haven't heard them yet... Probably pretty good from the chops that I saw with Coffin and Zambiland.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    LMFFAO!!!!!!

:D

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

me to...

Untill you've hung out with Bruce and talked to him and the Count (mButu) a great deal, does that statement really come to life. And that pretty much sums him up.

I used to gig with this guy, Barron Ruth (gtr, but also he is the southeast booker for Skyline Ent.), he books for Victor (solo), Coffin, Oteil and the Peacemakers, Jason Crosby ( :eek: )... also he books for Col. Bruce and the code talkers...

Well anyways, Barron calls me up and said he had a "+1" on the guestlist to see the code takers with Count mButu at the Brandyhouse, so I went. Didn't see him inside the venue, nor did I see Bruce and the gig was supposed to have started already. Barron calls me on the cell and asks me to meet him in the tour bus sitting in the parking lot, before they all go inside... In the bus I was expecting to see smoke billowing out like a paradigmatic Cheech and Chong flick..... Not the case at all. Inside the tour bus was Bobby Lee Rodgers, Bruce, Count and Barron all laughing there arses off watching "Greasers Palace" on DVD...

Now I know that Bruce is a film fanatic (y'all can see him in "SlingBlade" and one of Mike Gordon's flicks), but to delay or slightly stretch the time before your gig, so you can finish watching a DVD is pretty funny, IYAM.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    must be nice! listening to ARU and company has really opened up my ears and soul.

if you ever need a sub, call me! :D :p

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    NoJazzLoco,

Yeah, being an ATLien, we are spoiled by all of the Zambiland goodness, it's a little like a cult (Joe Zambi- don't flame me for saying cult :bag: ) of creative expression through music, humour, love, passion, cacophony, art... Actually around the week before X-mas each year, Ricky Keller (RIP my brother) used to put on the Zambiland Orchestra... it is a really wild event. Felix was at the last one that I went to on 12/2001, so was ARU (kinda of a reunited thing), members of WSP (David Schools :bassist: ) tons and TONS of others... it's basically a really big jam with some of the sickest cats from the South east you've ever seen.

Funny the Col. came into this thread (sorry for the hijack), cause about a year and a half ago him and Bobby Lee Rodgers were looking for bassists for the Code Talkers, and of course you know who really wanted that gig .... I really didn't even hear about the audition, till after a couple of my friends had gone and tried out for it... Man, I was pissed I missed that one.

...as for subbing, yeah man I have a couple double-bookers that I could pass your way (one of which is on 5/29, cover-gig), granted they are here in ATL :meh: .

Shoot me a PM with your contact info, I'll get you work if you come to ATL.