1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Felix Pastorius

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I know this is an Aguilar commercial, but whenever I hear Felix Pastorius, I am impressed. I get the impression that the fretted six is his thing, but on fretless he sounds scarily close to his Dad.

Phat Nick and fusionguy like this.
  2. Yeah he does seem to have that touch of his Father

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player G-B-W : https://www.reverbnation.com/gbw1 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I saw him play with Jeff Coffin at a music store several years ago and was totally blown away. He was killing it!! Awesome bassist in his own right. Genes may have helped some. ;) I left the store that day with my jaw on floor - man can he play!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    JimK and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    The best thing about that video is that Dave Boonschoft DID NOT reference Felix as Jaco’s son...

Nashrakh, LBS-bass, Woofer and 4 others like this.
  5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Yeah but, cmon. Would anybody really have to say that for it to be known?

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Playing a Lull too......cool!

7. Daniel Immel

Daniel Immel Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Rio de Janeiro
    Felix is a monster for sure, and especially on that 6. I also had the chance to hear him at a jazz festival outside of Nashville, with Coffin's group I think, and he was about 15 or so at the time. Even from 200m away you could hear that the tone was the closest to Jaco's you could get. I talked to some of the cats about it and they eluded to the fact that he had some other heavy, heavy weight bassists helping to guide him along and focus on his thing. He certainly found it and has expounded upon that. But, yeah, genetics, bone structure, skin plasticity, whatever....there was just something that gave that tone, that touch, in a way that I still haven't heard anyone approach. There IS a guy here in Brazil named Thiago Espirto Santo that comes the closest otherwise to my ears. His father is a bassist also. So was mine. Just saying! HAHAHA JUST kidding. But seriously.....

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    With Coffin's Mu'tet...he sounded/played great.

With the Yellowjackets? I dunno. A little subdued?

jerry likes this.
  9. Glad to see him doing well, he really plays the 6-string beautifully. I used to see him and his twin brother Julius play gigs down here in Ft Lauderdale area. I also lost a bass competition to him at Guitar Center awhile back, I remember Trip Wamsley(monster player) was one of the judges too. I don't usually care about compliments but getting a compliment about my playing from his late mother Ingrid (RIP) was an honor.

JimK likes this.
  10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Felix with the great Mike Clarke:

Joshua, Dr. Cheese and JimK like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dude is a great player. As a human being, I am glad that he got something from his father’s life that has allowed him to be a productive and creative person.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Daniel Immel, LBS-bass and m2k2p like this.
  12. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    FWIW the Venture cd is great, good for fans of Steps Ahead.

JimK likes this.
  13. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I believe he is touring with Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy filling in for Simon Fitzpatrick.

14. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Damn. I saw that tour when they came through here with Simon, but would have loved to see Felix.

biguglyman likes this.