Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 800 Pro Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by avast_bass, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Howdy,
    I'm looking into buying a new head as my Laney really is an insult to my lovely USA Jazz. I was looking into buying a Fender 800 Pro head, but was just wondering if anyone had any important info, advice or opinions on it. I'm also interested in an SVT3 Pro, but my budget really doesnt allow it and i need something in the next few months. Ideas or Suggestions? I play a Fender Jazz, mostly rock and melodic punk, but a good tone is very important to me. I dont like overly distorted bass.

I play alongside a gibson les paul, through a sovtek mig100 head (this sometimes becomes a fender tele through fender twin).

I live in the UK (so prices are all crazy here)

Thanks

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    UK Bass Guitar magazine issue 13.

Shootout and Review:
    1st Place: Ampeg B5R
    2nd Place: Peavy Pro 500
    3rd Place: Fender 800
    4th Place: Hartke HA550

3. yeah i read that review, foolishly i forgot all about the peavey pro500 which i believe is selling at the same price as the fender? around 750. The B5R however, sells at around 1000 and so is a little out of my range :(. I dont think i can go any higher than 750.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I'm sure you'd be happy with the Fender 800.

What cab do you plan on using it with?

5. at the moment im playing through an ampeg 6x10, however this doesnt belong to me but i have the ability to use it as long as i want. My own cabs are 2 laney 4x10's at 8ohm, and theyre rubbish.

I wrote this thread just to ask any questions about the fender amp, as i dont know much about it. However, looking about at mid price amps, I've been drawn to the peavey pro 500, the fender 800 pro, and an offering from Markbass - the club 450.

I've never seen Mark Bass amps used before, anything i should know about them? In Britain, they retail at around the same price as the peavey and fender.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    IMHO- forget the Markbass.

I'd go with Fender 800 over the Peavey just for
    the extra 300 watts... which is a very good thing to have.

7. why forget the markbass? not that i dont believe you, but it'd be useful for future reference. The peavey is supposedly more easily distorted and rougher sounding, better for rock, whereas the fender holds a clean tone very well but doesnt have as versatile an EQ section. However, the extra power would be very useful for me. I will try to play through both of them though and see what i think.

8. I've owned the Peavey, it's a great amp. One thing to keep in mind, it's 350 watts @ 4 ohms, 500 @ 2 ohms. For me, it lacked volume when ran at 4 ohms, and clipped. But at 2 ohms, it was brutal...very loud and never clipped, or ran hot.

The Fender is 800 watts @ 4 ohms, 1200 @ 2 ohms. I've never played this amp, but I have played the 400 pro...which is the same preamp, but less power. I loved the tone of the 400. I have been considering the 800 myself.

Peavey has been advertising a Pro 1600, which is similar to the Pro 500, with more wattage and features. I haven't heard anything lately about this amp, it's not even on Peavey's website anymore.

9. so baring in mind that i will be playing this amp over a loud guitar stack, and a ridiculously big sounding kit, the extra power of the fender is definetly worth it? This amp will mostly be for live use, recording wise i have access to an SVT setup.

10. With your cab setups, both 4 ohms, I recommend the Fender..for the extra wattage.

You stated that you record with a SVT setup. How about going with an Ampeg SVTCL preamp and a poweramp? This would be closer to your recorded tone. I'm not sure if that's important to you or not, but remember that the Fender will sound completely different then the SVT.

I still recommend the Fender for live gigs.

11. i'm not too worried about reproducing my live tone on gigs as we play frequent gigs to small crowds (no greater than 150) in basements, small venues, medium venues, allsorts... and so sound varies greatly ever night (especially with engineers changing my tone sneakily during set). What I need is something with the power, reliability and tone to pull off playing in a loud environment.

Thanks for all the opinions!

12. you can buy the Fender withouth doubting. I tested it about a month ago and was surprised by how good it sounded. A friend of mine bought the head (and some Fender cabs) and couldn't have been happier :bassist:

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I had a Bassman 400 and it sounded killer. The amp just had some speaker and rattle issues so I traded it in. If the 800 Pro was out back then, I probably would have bought one in a second.

I purchased a Thunderfunk which has a similar sound, but is handmade and built extremely well for about the same s the 800 Pro.

14. i was thinking the same. The fender bass amps i've played arent bad at all, but simply have little respect due to the fact the company make guitars and basses and not solely amplification. They sound good, and are more affordable than ampeg and others respected companies.

15. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I owned the 800 Pro for a bit more than a year. I was always impressed by it and had no problems. It is a clear, powerful amplifier with many good features. Build quality was good, with no slop in the pots, firm switches. I would highly recommend using rear rack ears, because the two rack space front panel cannot support the weight on its own. Mine started to warp a bit until I got a rack with rear rails.

Recently I upgraded to an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro. The biggest difference in changing my setup was the change in cabinets (going from an SWR 610 to an Ampeg 410). The SVT and Fender sounded nearly identical through the SWR cabinets. There were some subtle differences, especially using the Ampeg's nicer compression. However, for the money, you can't beat the Fender for power and sound. It's a really nice piece of electronic work. Believe me, you WILL appreciate the extra power, and the 2 ohm stability.

16. crikey this was a long time ago! To let you know... I sold my Laney cabs, bought an Ampeg 6x10, didnt buy a fender head, got a tech21 LM300 instead, which I've just sold, and now have an Orange AD200b on order!

17. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    +1 on the Fender considering your Cab configuration.

*EDIT - Just realized I replied to a thread that was started in the Stone age..LOL

Looks like you got an Orange on the way! thats fantastic! I have been hearing a lot about this head lately....must...fight..GAS!!!