Fender American Deluxe Precision preamp swap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ricky-1982, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Sadowsky VTC passive/active

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. EMG BQC-HZ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Aguilar OBP

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Darkglass tone capsule

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (specify in the comments)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Ricky-1982

Ricky-1982

Jul 22, 2019
    Europe
    Hello everybody,

I have a 2007 MIA 4 string precision deluxe, the one with the double jazz pickup in bridge position. As you may know, the bass has passive pickups and active 18V electronics. I've just re-shielded the entire cavities with copper tape and put new strings. Well, the bass is on the light side and sound great to me. Anyway, I wonder how it may sound with a different preamp. I was thinking about a passive/active preamp like the Sadowsky's VTC (which is 9v only afaik). Also, I'm curious about the EMG bqc-hz (active pre for passive pickups, either 9v or 18v). Do you guys have any suggestions? What was your preamp choice?

Thanks!

2. RestlessBoom

RestlessBoom

Oct 1, 2021
    I put a John East Uni-Pre 4 in my American Deluxe. I love the mid sweep. I also replaced the pickups with Nordstrand Blades. That thing is a monster now- tonal variety for DAAAAYS.

Ricky-1982 likes this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Another vote for John East. Either J Retro, J Retro Deluxe, or the Uni-Pre.

Ricky-1982 likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022