Fender American Jazz 2008 vs. 2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CPplaysBASS, Jul 7, 2008.

1. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Hi All,
    I am considering buying a 2008 American Jazz Bass and know they have a new style "HMV bridge" and a graphite reinforced neck.

I can also save substantial $ by purchasing a mint American Jazz that was made in 2000. Does anyone here have the knowledge to know how the 2008 and 2000 models compare in terms of the bridge, graphite reinforced neck and pickups?

Any help is appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Clarence

2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    The '08 is a quantum leap forward. Spend the extra money.

3. DadHatter

DadHatter

May 29, 2008
    What he said. ;)

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    word.

I have an '03 J that I got when I graduated high school. When the 08s came out I went to GC to check it out, and promptly started thinking "I wonder if I could swing this as a college grad present."

considering the cost of my education, I put this thought out of my mind. I guess I'll have to live with my thick poly coat. :bawl: ;)

5. I own a 08' Fender MIA Jazz V, I don't own a 00' so I wouldn't be able to give you a comparison. Though, I can tell you that the 08' is an awesome sounding bass, nothing like it. The craftsmanship is an A+ across the board, the sound is terrific. The notes are deep, articulate, unbelievably punchy sounding, every note cuts thru the mix in my band. I've been playing bass for over 30+ yrs. and have played all different types of basses Music Man, Steinberger, Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender from the early 90's, Rickenbacker, Carvin and been playing with my drummer for over 24 yrs. and he says that with my new 08' MIA Jazz this is the best my bass has ever sounded. I don't know if that helps you in anyway, but I can tell you this that I'm a very happy guy with my new 08' Jazz.:bassist:

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The 2000 has a graphite reinforced neck.

I think the newest Fenders are a cut above the older ones myself.

Try them both and see which one you like better. Then make your decision.

Only you will be able to deterimine if the difference in price is worth it to you.

Keep in mind, you can usually get the new A.S. for less than advertised price, if you have good negotiating skills.

As an example, I payed $800 for a brand new American Standard P back in May. A couple of others on TB have got equally good deals on the new Fenders.

7. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Many thanks for every piece of advice ... is a really huge help and ultimately I will let my hands and ears be my guide, but as we all know, sound and feel in a store always seems to be very different at home or stage and just wanted to make sure the "improvements" mentioned in Fender's marketing stuff wasn't just fluff.

Although I've never had neck problems with any bass I owned, and none of them ever had graphite, for some reason I just feel comfortable with it being in a bass that will soon become the most expensive one I've bought to date, new or used. So I'm glad to hear it's in both ....

But, yeah, the consensus seems unanimous and I suppose we all have a duty to boost the economy and move product off shelves when possible :) The lowest price I have seen for the American Standard is $1,149 Canadian , so it'll be interesting to see if I deal down any from that (on a side note, someone told me sunburst are more expensive since the ones that are chosen to get a solid colour finish often have imperfections you can't see .... everywhere I've seen though, sunburst is the same price).

Thanks again!

Clarence

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Just so this thing is not unanimous, I think that the 2000 is just as likely to be a great bass as the 08.

9. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Ugh ... lol :)

$950 flat for the used, $1149 + taxes which in Ontario/Canada brings a new one to $1,310.

$360 is certainly not an amount to throw away, but I am hoping, as a 41 yr old who is really just started to play live regularly and recording in studios, that this will be THE bass ... which I know means I have to play a bunch of new, compare to the used and decide.

In my gut though, the extra cost is sitting in the right spot with me at the moment.

Thanks for providing the door to some debate though!

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

You should be able to negotiate a much better price on that 08 than $1149.

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I used to have an '00 MIA Jazz. It was a fantastic bass. The only reason I sold it was because I just HAD to have a Montezuma Brown Ric 4003. I needed money to get the Ric (which I also sold later on!).

The '00 Jazz had a great tone. I do not own an '08 Amer. Std., but I've played a bunch of them in my local G.C. Killer bass. If the extra money is not an object, I'd get the '08. But if the extra $360 would put you in a financial bind, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the '00's. That was the first year of the "American Series" as opposed to the "old" American Standards. Of course you should test drive it first to make sure, but mine was sweet. But sweet or not, I'd still go with the '08 if possible. Every time I play one, I'm impressed with the punch.

12. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Wow ... so much for my plan to play a few '08's before making a decision! I've been to the four largest guitar stores in the Toronto (Canada) area in the past three days ... all of them sold out of 2008's but tons of 2005-2007's.

So I'm thinking the stores won't have much motivation to make a deal on the 08's, but obviously they're stiking a chord with bass buyers and seem to be the smartest way to go.

Still hoping to actually locate one to play first before ordering though. Thanks again folks!!

13. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    And to end this thread (as if anyone is still reading it) ... after being told countless times by numerous stores I'd have to order and wait until late August for a 2008 American Jazz Standard (and I live in the largest metropolitan area in Canada) I called a store in a town where I happened to have a gig last night and they had literally just got a shipment in ... including the 3-tone sunburst with rosewood ...

Once I got to the store I realized it had not even been taken out of the cardboard shipping box yet, and instantly the differences with previous years were apparent.

The day before I was in store playing an American Jazz that had the "S1" sticker on it, and was disappointed with a noticeable gap in the neck pocket. The 2008 (at least this one) was absolutely flawless.

The other thing, and it's hard to explain but you just have to feel it ... the feel of the "rounded" edges on the fretboard. Maybe that's not new, but I noticed an incredible comfort I haven't felt on any other bass.

Also the action out of the box was perfect too.

So yes I bought it :) But no I didn't play it at the gig, but certainly will next Friday.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Okay, even though we all know what they look like, you still have to post pics! It simply must be done... ;)

15. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have the same bass, 08 Am Standard in sunburst with risewood and it really is an outstanding bass. The case is also a fantastic bonus. I live in the Vancouver area and paid $1,149 as well and feel that it was well worth it. Many of the stores out here have lots of 07's and 06's sitting up on the walls collecting dust as players in the know are ordering in the new 08's. They aren't sitting on the walls very long.

Eventually the stores will have to blow out the older models but i haven't seen any deals on the older stock yet anywhere.

16. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    2008 Fenders are the best production line basses I've seen in a long time...

I've not owned a Fender bass for a long time and I've been enjoying the 08's like crazy...

The American Deluxe Jazz basses are amazing for the money. If you like traditional look that's been improved upon, they're amazing.

Fender Custom Shop Classic V's are outstanding instruments.

They are outselling Ibanez, Yamaha and Dean on all levels from the Squier to Custom Shop.

17. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    I noticed the same thing ... the previous years that the stores still have in stock are priced the same as the 08's wherever I went, which I think is a not right. I don't quite get the Fender serial numbering system (why doesn't it just start with "08"??), and I can see someone buying a previous year at full price and not even having a chance to try the 08 if they're not aware of the difference.

Quite honestly, this forum is the only thing that put me on the correct path, and I've since become (as of yesterday) a supporting member :)

What I have noticed already though, is that those selling the previous models on ebay / craigslist /kijiji are being impacted ... I seen quite a few older Jazzes stating "low reserve" but with no bids that meet that reserve.

And, yeah, I agree .... when I brought it intp my gig, everyone was like "whoa ... awesome case!". LOL It is a huge bonus that goes way beyond expectations, with the included strap, chamois cloth, and nice little sticker that I think I'll affix to my forehead to show how happy I am!

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    What's stopping anyone from making an offer on a left over?

Just because the tag has a price on it, doesn't mean you can't offer less.

I could have walked out of a store last month with an 07 for $725. ( still too high for a left over IMO)

19. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Good point Savit ... I think most people simply are not comfortable negotiating and once they make the "emotional" decision to buy a bass they love, they just want to slap the money down quickly and get it home before anyone else can touch it. If you're able to separate the heart from the head though, then for sure a great deal can be had for those who realize the previous models are still excellent basses as long as you inspect it carefully (like everyone should do regardless) and realize the resale value may not be as high as 2008.

For the record, I did get $100 off (so $1,049 before tax) and any set of strings I wanted just for asking, but the sales guy knew I was definitely taking it ... my heart was all over my sleeve

For Jeff K, here's the pic ... included shots of the case for those who don't know what I was talking about previously. Is included in the cost and is light despite it's hefty appearance!

FenderJazz08.jpg

20. im stoked with my new 08 jazz 5er.
    much better than any previous american fenders ive played.

but i cant honestly say the rolled edges of the fingerboard are any better to me.

they feel nice, sure, but i dont really notice that much, and my other bass is a mex p which has fairly sharp edges in comparison.

oh well, im very happy anyway..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021