Fender American original or Fender Vintera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flossi_Rizzi, Jul 19, 2020.

1. krizalidzero

krizalidzero

Aug 21, 2019
    If you can afford it, ALWAYS buy the original (in this case, MIA).

Krügmeister likes this.
  2. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    This says it all. Vintage spec basses are thick and heavy. If that’s not what you’re looking for, then the AO is not for you.

3. The American Original IS nitro finished. Not sure who told you otherwise.

4. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    dopejohnpaul likes this.
  5. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    The Original '70s has no lacquer finish, as in the '70s they used poly (except from the headstock's face, which was nitro). It is the period correct finish.

6. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    The AO 60s is Nitro. The AO 70s is not. And we’re talking about Jazzes. I’m pretty sure both the AO P’s are Nitro.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  7. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    The MiM 70s are great basses, pretty much true to spec in terms of sound, looks and feel IME.

It really has to come down to personal preference and what you value as to whether the AO is worth the difference in price.

My MiM 70s J does everything I need it to sonically, plays great and looks fantastic. It's a perfect companion to my 76 P, at a fraction of the price.

8. yogibarrister

yogibarrister

Dec 29, 2017
    If I may, I own both a Vintera J-Bass (60's firemist gold) and an Ultra J-Bass. I love them both. The Vintera is fantastic. Better than one of my basses of a different brand that cost much more. Fender always does a great job. And I challenge any of you to try out my 1993 Fender P-Bass Lyte and tell me that isn't an awesome instrument. That thing is dying with me. Just look at your bank account. Fender has something for you. My first was a Squire J-Bass. It was terrific. I just played it to death and Tommy Hennig talked me into upgrading.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021