1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Fender American Standard Precision 5 (Modified to PJ)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by KaseOfBass, Mar 29, 2019.

1. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is an olympic white 2013 Fender MIA Precision 5 that has been modified to a PJ using a Nordstrand Big Split (the neck pickup is the original Fender). I bought this new from Sweetwater in December 2014 and the PJ modification was completed by Brady Muckelroy here in Austin some time in 2015. Bass is passive with Volume/Tone (stack) and Blend knobs. Bass was also copper tape shielded and the neck has been sanded slightly for a smoother feel. Plays great and offers a great P-bass tone, thick jazz-like tone (the good ol' PJ tone to me - a jazz-ish tone, but thicker), and a burpy bridge pickup tone.

I take good care of my equipment and this one really didn't see a lot of playing time. It did, however, make it to a bunch of gigs as a backup before I started playing EBMM basses. So, it's got a couple of bumps and bruises and the normal swirling in the finish and pickguard. As for the bumps and bruises, there are a couple of indentions on the back of the neck that I tried to capture in the photos below. While they're really tough to see, you can feel them if you're paying attention and sensitive to that sort of thing. The lower horn has a discoloration/mark where it looks like it caught something on stage. Last, the blend knob must've also caught the corner of something, too, as the shaft on the pot is bent slightly (you don't notice it until you turn the knob).

I tried Hipshot Ultralites on it for awhile, and you can slightly see the screw holes from the Ultralites under the Fender machines on the back of the headstock (mostly on the E, A, D, and G - see photo).

Ships in OHSC that I never really used, but did loan out briefly. When it came back, something had been spilled in the lower horn area of the case - there are two spots (see photo). Not sure what it was, it's not sticky and doesn't have a discernible smell, but it matted up the material a bit. Case is in great shape otherwise, all latches and the lock work perfectly. Will have the original case candy included, minus the ¼" cable - so, strap, hangtags, truss rod adjustment tool, sticker, and other paperwork.

Why am I selling? I don't play it. I take two EBMM StingRay 5 basses everywhere now and the P5 hasn't left the house in a very long time. I find I like the idea of a P or PJ, but prefer the tone of something with more bite that I can tame down if I need to. But, if you're a P or PJ guy/gal, this thing has that tone down.

Weight: 9 lbs 7.9 oz
    Nut: 1.875"
    String spacing: 18 mm (slightly adjustable with the slots in the bridge saddles)

Bass is currently wearing Elixir nickels that have very little play time on them.

Asking $975 shipped, CONUS only. PayPal payment is preferred, but I'm open to discuss other options.

Not interested in any trades, this is for sale only.

IMG_4241.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. Holy crap this is awesome. If this still available in May, I'll be able to gladly take it from your hands. Otherwise, GLWS

Bardolphus likes this.
  3. Ok... thanks for responding! Hopefully I can get some equipment sold so I can pick this beauty up!

Bardolphus likes this.
  4. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Oh man, really!?!

I took delivery on a new (to me) Sadowsky MS4 yesterday.

Gotta give it at least a week.

Maybe I'll just look at the pictures once more.....

(Tums is not gonna help this GAS)

Bardolphus likes this.
  5. rigorous bass

rigorous bass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Super cool! How’s that B string?

6. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Thanks!

The B is good on this bass and nothing I'd call floppy, but I realize that some of this is subjective. For me, it's not a Roscoe or Modulus B, but it's certainly on par with the Sadowsky basses I've had in the past.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021