1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender bass prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Jun 1, 2014.

1. After nearly a two year hiatus from full-time playing bass and playing guitar I am looking to get back into playing bass. I would like to get a Fender Precision again because it's what I have always played however I've noticed gradual spike in used market prices. Example is about six months ago on average a 90's MIM Fender Precision bass used could be had for $300 or less stock with no case or a padded case...now they seem to go from anywhere from high $300-500 and some change. I even saw a guy try to sell a standard Squier Affinity series P bass for $350 but that is just a classic example of not knowing what you have exactly. Just curious to if anyone has noticed this or if it's just a overall classic people not knowing what they have and just choosing a price that sounds good to them?

I've actually been considering a change and going the Route of a Epiphone Thunderbird IV, found one used for around $200 and is in good shape. I've always been curious to the Thunderbird.

2. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    We'll is in South Africa where I'm from ,I saw a matt freeman squier at a store for 10 grand , that's what they are selling for , insane , at the same store a std usa jazz bass 28 grand! It's insane! So I totally hear you!

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    People can ask whatever they want but that does not mean that the price is correct, as example, I would not never paid $500 for a standard MIM, neither $ 1,000 for a used Standard MIA.

Anyway, I think that the increases in price has to do more whit shipping and paypal fees, in a $500 transaction expect to paid $ 70-80 in fees and shipping costs.

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    People always try to get more for their used junk that it's worth. You just have to be patient to find a good deal.

5. If you are willing to spend $300 USD, then why not check into Squire. They have a good P and J bass model and are rated very good for the money. I recently purchased a Squire Modified Vintage Jazz bass in natural finish and am quite happy with it. It looks identical to the Fender Jazz. Very hard to tell apart. Sounds good too.:):cool::bassist:

gregmon79 likes this.
  6. Pharsalien

Pharsalien

Mar 6, 2014
    Upstate NY
    The market is always in flux just wait til you find some thing in your price range, you also have to wonder why one product is in demand another isn't.

7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I couldnt agree more with this statement. If you havent played/picked up and or checked out a Squier in a few years, take a look at them now. They are really good basses for the price. I picked up a Squier Affinity P/J brand new for about $180. I have since modded the heck out of it but stock, the bass was/is killer. All I needed to do was preform a good setup on it and it played and sounded great. If you have the money, get a used Fender P. But if youre not looking to spend a lot, dont be scared of Squier. They are making some really good stuff as of late. The VM series of basses being at the top. The Affinitys not far behind IMO. Bur some may disagree on the Affinity. I mustve gotten lucky.

8. String Strangler

String Strangler

Jun 28, 2014
    None
    I agree too! Just got one today and it's really really great! Sunburst, alder, rosewood, maple. Affinity P Bass. $179. I was surprised when I saw the covered tuner gears, but it's not slipping even with poundin' and slappin'. :hyper: