Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quincsta, Jun 6, 2005.

1. quincsta

quincsta

Apr 11, 2005
    Hey I was looking at buying a fender bass. The bass or basses I am looking at are the Fender 1975 American Vintage Jazz bass and the Victor Bailey jazz bass. I wanted to know if they are any good. Also I have seen the 1975 on ebay the original not the reissue and I was wondering if it were better to buy original or still just the same to buy the reissue, because i know with some basses like Tobias they are most definetly not like the originals.
    Thanks

2. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    the 75 has to be my all time favorite...go for it...if you can find an original (and you're sure it's authentic) go for it...nothing beats an original...

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    1975 was not agood year build wise for fender, Construction was suspect, electronics were bad (feedback, howling) on alot of them. Some were really heavy. The sound was amazing though! I own a 75R.I. special edition fsr jazz and it has none of those issues. Great bass by the way! I also own the Victor Bailey jazz bass and it's in a class by it's self!!! Lightweight, funky, extremely playable, awesome pre-amp and pups (whether "noiseless or SCN") Totally unlike any other Fender before it.

4. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Both of those basses are excellent. I suggest you also check out the Geddy Lee model.

5. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Get the Bailey! This is one killer bass with an amazing broken in neck and powerful eq. It records wonderfully and gigs just a s wonderfully. I can play three hours easily.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I agree 100% :)

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i used to have a 75 RI and now have an original 77`, both are exlente bass. the RI was incredible confortable, and was very bright sounding, the 77 sounds more round and has more grohl. i think the RI is very similar to the geddy lee, check it out if you can

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Don't be afraid to be the newer stuff used either, you'll save some major dough! LDS in Detroit has got a used Victor Baily in stock. played it today, nice axe! I always check the major sights including E-Bay if I'm looking for something used.
    www,lowdownsound.com