1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 800 vs Super Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedWire75, Nov 4, 2018.

1. RedWire75

RedWire75 Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Hi everyone!

I currently have a Bassman 800 into a Fender NEO 610 that I’m pretty happy with sound wise. My biggest complaints are the single mid control and the fact the peak light lights up really, really early. The peak light issue has me looking at the Super Bassman.

My question is two-fold, will the Super Bassman be a big enough step up sound-wise to justify the price and/or am I paying too much attention to the peak light on the 800? I know the Super Bassman won’t solve the one mid control complaint but that’s why they make EQ pedals.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    svtb15 likes this.
  2. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Anyone?

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Describe early. Amplifier volume controls are usually designed to accommodate low level input signals, so with hotter signals, extreme EQ, etc. it's easy to get peak lights to come on.

The reason to get a Super Bassman is you want an all tube amp. If you are expectoing it to be louder, well it might be when cranked up. There are many threads here (most about Ampeg SVTs) discussing why "tube watts" seem to sound louder in use than equal solid state wattage. When neither amp is driven into clipping, if the specs are to be believed the Bassman 800 should be in the vicinity of 3-4dB louder.

From the 800 manual:

When the LED blinks it means the limiter is kicking in, this is perfectly normal.

4. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Early meaning channel volume at 4, master volume around 5. I’m only boosting the bass EQ a touch above flat. High mids are cranked up but that should be eating power. Blending in just a small amount of dirt.

This is on the overdrive channel. If I use the vintage channel it’s even worse. I have the bass all the way down, mids at 8 and treble around 3. Balance channel volume with the OD channel. Peak light is on even more.

I’m not expecting (or trying for) louder from the SB. It’s more about that tube sound plus natural compression and saturation one you start to push them.

5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have both amps, as to the 800's limit light, I really don't pay any attention to it, as I'm facing the audience, no pun intended, what I've noticed, is the 800 has a tighter sound, when I use it with my Berg HS 410, which I kinda like, the SB300 has a more lush sound, through the HS410, not nearly as tight sounding, as the 800, now when I use the SB300 through my Berg NV610, that lushness is not really prevelant, as much, it just sounds just right, the 800 still has that tighter sound through the NV610, and it also sounds good, granted both amps have the same preamps, but they are very different sounding amps, as to the single mid control, I've gotten used to it, and have really never had issues with, just one mid adjustment, I might say, that I also have a ThunderFunk 500, which has a very wide range of adjustment, so with that said, I've had one amp that's extremely adjustable, to one that's simple, so, on to the active channels, both amps, can get very a very clean sound out of the active channel, both of the Fender amps, have the modern interperation of the "Vintage Fender Tone Stack", which I think is well done, if you don't like the Fender tonestack, don't get one, as with any amp purchase, you really need to play your bass and your cabinet, to really hear, what you like, or dislike, you should also be aware the a tube amp, in my opinion sounds real good through a high quality sealed cab, and sold-state amps sounds really good through ported cabinets, now adays, that concept is somewhat blurred, as equipment just had gotten better, as to why I have both? .... I like them, and have no need to flip them, as they have there uses, in my sound, oh, as to, volume, both will ruin your hearing.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Wasnex and Thick McRunfast like this.
  6. The SB300 has more weight to each note. And more weight.
    The SB300 is probly my fave amp of all. All tube. Say no more!

Tim1 likes this.