Fender Can Have It... I'm Done...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryevick, Sep 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    Well I've decided I am returning my Fender Deluxe Precision Bass Special I just bought. I cleaned the glue residue they left all around the nut that was notched all out of wack... the E string has a good 1/16th more space than it should have to the A and the nut action is high anyway. I fixed the concave bow it had, lowered the bridge string action. While I'm adjusting the intonation I find that the saddle piece is not only not moving when I'm turning the screw but the screw is stripped inside of the saddle itself! Then I find that another pickup screw I didn't notice (when I caught the top split pickup sitting like a seesaw) was about to fall out of the freakin' hole... not screwed in at all really. I"M DONE!!!! I plugged in my 5 string Schecter and said to myself 'this will do'... I really have more guitars than I need anyway, I definitely don't need a hunk of crap giving me headaches! Refund please!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Glad you are getting this source of stress out of your life. Here's to better days.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Sorry for your luck. It sounds like you got a "Friday" Fender.

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It's ok. They'll just resell it to some kid who doesn't know any better or care and he/she will probably wind up making some really great music on this abomination.

Broke, ryevick, pedroims and 10 others like this.
  5. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009

Thanks, it's actually been a really bad bass day... found all of this out about the bass and my Ampeg SVT3PRO took a dive... all in the same day... so yeah, not feeling very musical right now :(

Lumdingo likes this.
  6. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Glad it's still in its return period! Some instruments just aren't worth the headache.

Helix, Dr. Cheese and ryevick like this.
  7. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    What a bummer.

Pudge Fish and ryevick like this.
  8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    At least your avatar pic is perfect for this kind of day. Maybe switch to a picture of a puppy and see if you get the opposite type of day? :thumbsup: Peace, Bob

GBassNorth and ryevick like this.
  9. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    Can't change Gene Wilder (R.I.P.)... I've always used that pic... besides, he's not mad or frustrated... he's very excited... a little crazy but excited haha... Young Frankenstein is one of the funniest movies ever made...

blkpwdr, Tbone76, BritBass 2 and 17 others like this.
  10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Say goodbye to Fender, and welcome to Squier !!!

Vintage Modified PJ are waiting for you !

11. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    If I do decide to get a 4 string bass it will probably be that one or this G&L... but not sure if I even want one now.

Sartori, joebar and Yahboy like this.
  12. It's no secret that some of them are dogs.
    On the bright side, since the average quality is good,
    someone else just got an exceptional bass. ;)

Kippo, tfer and pacojas like this.
  13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Nice baby , and I spot on the pickup, lot positive comments about the split P pup.

14. Andrew Post

Andrew Post

Jul 19, 2016
    If you want a good Precision Bass or Jazz Bass, buy one from Sadowsky. Far superior to current Fender instruments. I have owned four (still have two). You can't go wrong with Sadowsky. And No, I don't work for them -- I'm just a satisfied customer.

15. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Out of curiosity where did you purchase this bass?

metallicafan18 likes this.
  16. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    That it some sad news. That is the exact bass that I am the most excited about from Fender right now... Yikes.

ryevick likes this.
  17. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I had three words of advice for you: G & L. But I see you already found them yourself. Can't go wrong with G&L, in my humble opinion. I started out with an LB100 and now I also have two JBs! Well, you need one with rounds and one with flats don't you?
    By the way, Gene Wilder was a genius, not to mention Mel Brooks. Did you know, according to Gene, Mel producing Young Frankenstein was the price for for Gene stepping in at the last minute as a replacement for Blazing Saddles? And could you possibly imagine the Waco Kid not being played by Gene?

joebar, tekhedd and ryevick like this.
  18. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    A Friday afternoon Fender

ryevick likes this.
  19. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I purchased this bass from Zzounds after they told me they would inspect it before it was shipped. First and last time using them, or maybe letting them use me is a better way to put it.

lermgalieu likes this.
  20. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    That's why I use Sweetwater. I have purchased a few basses from them, and they inspected and sent me actual DETAILED pictures of MY bass before shipping. They have a thorough check system.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021