Fender Deluxe Zone Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Khazid'hea, Dec 13, 2003.

1. I am planning to buy a Fender Deluxe Zone Bass. But unfortunately I didn't have any chance to play it before. I only read about it. I am planning it to be a long time main bass. But I have my doubts too. What do you say help me out here!
    Thanks a lot!
  2. I know how you feel about ordering a bass without playing it, I did the same with my essex bass (yes i know, less of a gamble because of less money) but i think you will be surprised with it. I've played a zone a weeks ago, and it sounds good. It would make a good main bass.
    Good Luck,
  3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The Zones are rockin' basses. My guess is, if you're a Fender kind of guy you will love it! The P-J setup is nice and gives plenty of different sounds. :)
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I used to own one. I regret selling it in many ways. I sold it to go to Precision. In any case there are a lot of advantages to this bass. Its light, playable, and versatile. The new ones come with 18v power supply rather than the 9v that mine had. That should also be a big plus.

5. Yeah I am a Fender type of guy. But the thing is that this bass is a Mexican. And I have doubts about its quality!
  6. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    i own two american fenders, (a 1978 precision and a 2000 jazz; i love them both, and would never trade one of them for a mexican, and any active bass... If you are a fender kind of player, you should maybe think of buying american ones. I played a couple of MIM jazz basses, and there was no competition with my american. The wood, the sound, and specially the playability. It felt a different bass.
    my 2 cents
  7. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    MIM are a crap shoot. Some will give the MIA a run for thier money, others are not worth the shipping cost. I used to own a MIM Zone and was very pleased with it. If I didn't run into the Schecter line of Basses I would probably still own it. On a Side note I'm looking HARD at the American Zone Bass, mostly because of the special Zone pickups and the walnut body. There are times I really miss my Zone!
  8. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I have looked at this bass extensively and the next bass I buy will most likely be the american fender zone. the lightweight and pickups are very appealing to me.
  9. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    does anyone know the availability for say, guitar center to order a left-handed fender american zone bass?
  10. Well, just because it's from Mexico does not make it bad. Mexico has given us many fine things, like enchiladas, Volkswagen Beetles, and guitarrons. Also, the bollweevil comes from Mexico they say.

I like the Fender Zone. If you scotchbrite off the "e" at the end of "Zone," you'll have yourself a Fender Zon. And a Zon is a pretty nice bass.

Then if people as you about it, you can tell 'em that Zon was bought out by Fender, and start a new rumor here on Talkbass.

Just my 2 pesos in jest.
  11. And this is how "urban legends" start!
  12. scat1234

Apr 4, 2010
    Long Island
    I have a MIM in Sienna Sunburst, quality instrument, gets lots of positive comments. It does not boom the lows massively, but 5 controls give you lots of sound options. Can play it bright or muddy. As long as you're not using it for heavy metal, you should be good. One side note - factory strings suck, expect to change them out a.s.a.p.
  13. I randomly found a Fender Zone on a visit to House of Guitars...although it definitely had electrical problems, it sounded nice otherwise and fit me so well that I went on an eBay hunt!

I found a 4-string Zone on eBay, for $395, and took a chance. It's inarguably my favorite bass. MIM but I'm very satisfied with the quality. I get a little buzz on the E string when I'm playing sloppy, considering readjusting the bridge but that'll have to happen when I'm not playing so many gigs...because for now I won't play anything else!

Now I'm looking for a 5-string Zone, Mexican or American made, Sienna Sunburst preferred - pass it on?

WANTED: Fender Zone 5-string
  14. Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    I'm a Fender kinda guy, I own a few American made Fender P's, and 1 Mexican made P. The Mexican P is fine. The only "issue" I have with it, and it's minor, is that the edges of the frets were not polished, so they were a bit rough on the slides. I had that taken care of, now it's every bit AS GOOD as any American P that I have. Don't write them off so easily, find the right one and you'll have a great bass for very little dinero. :)