1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender FSR Jazz vs. Fender Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tylerrasnakev2, Apr 29, 2010.

1. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
    [​IMG]

Fender Standard Jazz Bass

* Series: Standard series
    * Body: Alder
    * Neck: Maple, modern C shape, tinted satin urethane finish
    * Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9-1/2" Radius (241 mm)
    * Frets: 20 medium-jumbo frets
    * Pickups: 2 Standard Jazz bass single-coil pickups
    * Controls: Volume 1 (Neck), Volume 2 (Bridge), Master Tone
    * Bridge: Standard vintage style with single groove saddles
    * Machine heads: Standard
    * Hardware: Chrome
    * Pickguard: 3-Ply Parchment
    * Scale length: 34" (864 mm)
    * Width at nut: 1-1/2" (38 mm)
    * Unique Features: Redesigned pickups, vintage-style Jazz Bass control knobs,
    * Fender transition logo
    * Strings: Fender Super Bass 7250ML, NPS
    * Gauges: .045, .065, .080, .100

[​IMG]

* Classic J Bass styling
    * Ash body
    * Natural finish
    * Rosewood fretboard
    * 2 single-coil pickups
    * Volume/volume/tone controls
    * Chromeplated hardware

Can someone with some experience on these elaborate a little on the FSR. Musician's Friend reviews (equivalent to Youtube comments, in my opinion) seem to lean toward the FSR Jazz. I'm curious as to why the Swamp Ash FSR Fender Jazz bass costs $100.00 less than the standard. They seem to be the same instrument, besides the FSR's body is swamp ash. Does swamp ash cost less to manufacture than alder? And, how does the FSR compare to other instruments in the price range?

Thanks all! :bassist:

2. From my limited guitar center experience, the FSR was a lot more growly (IMO) than the standards that they had on display. If I wasn't broke I probably would have walked away with it that day.

3. Rox

Rox

Apr 25, 2010
    I believe all the FSRs are is an exclusive for GC and Musicians Friend . For the money they look like a way better deal than a normal Standard.

4. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    The FSR has the pre-'08 logo and the Standard has the new one. So maybe they're different years. That FSR body is beautiful, but might be heavy.

5. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I had an FSR and have played the standard equiv. The FSR is heavier but IMHO sounded better and certainly looked/felt better. GC sells them. I would go with the FSR.

6. I picked up a FSR in canada transparent blue last year at my local dealer music maxx, so I think there available to any Fender dealer,weight is the same 9 lbs as my highway 1 only diffrent fsr is made of ash,hwy1 is alder.
    Fsr are much more attactive then the plain standards just my opinion,there sound very simular to a standard.