1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender hi mass bridge on SX Pbass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by frenfrins, Nov 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. frenfrins

frenfrins

Dec 7, 2012
    Hi, I'm thinking about replacing the original bridge on my SX FPB57 bass by a Fender Hi Mass bridge IV brass. Do you recommend that? Will I notice an improvement?
    Anyone knows if I would need to make more screw holes or can I just use the existing ones?
    Thank you!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No, I don't recommend replacing it, BECAUSE I don't think you will hear an improvement. If you like the looks of it and want to chnge it for that reason, then go ahead. The SX appears to use a Fender 5 hole mount, so no problem changing them out.

frenfrins likes this.
  3. frenfrins

frenfrins

Dec 7, 2012
    Thanks! For me if it's only aesthetic difference, then it's not worth.
    Any more opinions?

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
  5. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Go for it if you like the looks.

Get the EMG-GZR passive pickup replacement kit if you want an improvement. No soldering, pretty easy to do, costs about 2-3 high mass bridges. Option B: Dimarzio. I suggest the EMG because I just put one in a P bass. (not the SX)

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I had a '76 Fender jazz that I bought used back around 1980. Being the '70', they had put on a BadAss II bridge. After playing it for 30 years, I tried to restore it to original, including a vintage style bridge. No change in tone or playability.